General discussion

DI 524 Not connecting more than 1 pc wireless

Hello, I am not very good with the technical lingo of routers, so any help in clear english is much appreciated!

I have a D-Link DI-524 router that I have been using for over 5 years now. I have had a few bumps in the road, but this one has got me. I have never had trouble hooking up to the internet wireless with more than 1 computer in the past.

I currently have a Laptop that I like to use with a WIRE to the Router, but I sometimes need to move my laptop away from the router and use it wireless.

Problem I have is, my desktop is not close to a wired connection and must use the Wireless all the time.

So when I unplug my Laptop from the router and try to use it wireless, BOTH computers loose their internet connection within minutes(so sometimes it works wireless on both computers but only for a sec) and the only way to get it back is to turn off one of the computers and reboot the router.

I have never had this issue in the past, this just started recently, a friend stopped in and wanted to connect to the wireless and he was not able to either.

So I am stuck with only connecting to the router using Wires and only 1 wireless at a time!

Can someone please help me?? I have spent a couple months trying to figure it out?
THANK YOU!

ADDED: I updated all drivers on both wireless cards and I have the only Firmware I can get for my router v1.23

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: DI 524 Not connecting more than 1 pc wireless
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DI 524 Not connecting more than 1 pc wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What's to prove

This is not the old Vista Broadcast flag issue? (see google, Vista Broadcast flag for details.)

Sorry but leaving out machine details can have me guessing badly.
Bob

- Collapse -
More Info

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Joseph C. Thome>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-4105e587b6
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-79-75-C7
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.61
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, April 05, 2010 5:54:17 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, April 12, 2010 5:54:17 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-23-14-02
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.61
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, April 05, 2010 5:49:42 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, April 12, 2010 5:49:42 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Joseph C. Thome>

Someone told me to do this, might help???

But both my computers are old, all my computers and my router where bought in the same year! So windows XP is what I have on both machines. HP Pavilion zv6000 and a Dell Dimension Desktop, But my buddys came over and one has a really smal Mac laptop and the other has a Dell laptop and Neither one would connect as long as one computer was already connected wireless.

- Collapse -
This is where

I try another router. I may even replace wifi cards since some are known to cause problems. But there's the rub. Many owners can't replace or substitute parts so that's a dead end. They usually have to borrow or start replacing the most likely parts.
Bob

- Collapse -
????

Are you sure that's the answer? This thing was working just fine a few months ago. I have always been able to use both my computers wireless. Heck I can use both computers now, just not wireless together, lol.

It seems like the router is trying to issue the same IP address to both computers that are wireless.

I am currently using the net and I am connected wireless and wired on my laptop and only wireless on my desktop and Both machines are good to go, but if I disconnect that cable, all goes to hell.

The router even shows all three connected and 3 different IP address, but if I unplug that cable, I can't even log into the router to see what IP addresses are being used, unless i disable one computer completely.

FYI: Unemployment will be restricting my ability to buy new routers and cards.

Thanks for reading my post!

- Collapse -
Yes it is.

When I go to a troubled site I take spares with me. Maybe someone will call that cheating?

Remember I can't tell if you tinkered with the 524's settings. Stock it would work fine but what if someone changed the stock settings? I can't guess here. You would have to tell what's different from stock.
Bob

- Collapse -
Actually

I should have mentioned this earlier. I did a reset to all default settings too. Just to make sure! I also changed passwords ands it didn't make a difference.

But, I posted all this same info on another forum and someone suggested that I just try a different Channel.

So I did that and I am currently using Wireless only on both computers. I am still holding my breathe, but if this is the answer, Wow will I feel stupid.

Thanks again!

CNET Forums

Forum Info