General discussion

DI-524 help.

I can access the router through the wireless laptop (Toshiba M55-S135), but cannot get an internet connection through the wireless. When I hook up the router directly, I do not get an internet connection. Granted, I may not know alot about this, but I am following the directions. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: DI-524 help.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DI-524 help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Forgot to add

I am connecting through the WAN miniport(pppoe), shouldn't I be able to connect through the LAN?

- Collapse -
Using DSL?

you may want to forget that miniport, and set the routers Internet type to PPPoE, along with a user name and password the ISP gave you. Then run the Internet Connection wizard in XP and choose to connect through the LAN. IP's and DNS are set to auto.

- Collapse -
My new 524 had outdated firmware.

It wouldn't connect until I updated the firmware. Did you update yours?

Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Firmware updated to 3.20
- Collapse -
When did this occur?
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Updated 09/05/05, this am
- Collapse -
Great news, bad news !!!!!

The great news is I got the computers connected !!!!!!!
The bad news is now I have to dissconnect everything to propely relocate the router. At least now I know what to do.
Thanks for the help.

Another question is: The router is in the basement and when I checked for service in the attic, the computer said "service refused, new connection being made". I got internet service in the attic, but I think I was on someone elses service. Is that possible/likely?

- Collapse -
Good possibility....

Take a look at your Wireless Connections Icon to View which Networks are Available.

How did you succeed?

- Collapse -
Your tip

The part of the router wizard "set PPPoE", I didn't realize that that was where I put by DSL sign on and password. Thanks again !

- Collapse -
And it helped my router (again).

I updated the firmware (yet again) today from just last month and finally the wireless security works proper.

I had to use MAC FILTERING in the past to lock out rogue users, but with the latest it finally works as advertised.

A twofer today.

Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How do you know if you have rouge users?
- Collapse -
Look at...

Here, I point to http://192.168.0.1, login, click on the STATUS item, then WIRELESS and a list is shown of connected clients. If there are more than yours then someone is freeloading off your connection.

-> Why is this a bad thing?

a. You lose speed.
b. They could be downloading copyrighted material and it could be traced to your connection.

Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Aha, thanks, no moochers yet !

CNET Forums