Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

DI-524 help.

by duckman / September 4, 2005 12:42 PM PDT

I can access the router through the wireless laptop (Toshiba M55-S135), but cannot get an internet connection through the wireless. When I hook up the router directly, I do not get an internet connection. Granted, I may not know alot about this, but I am following the directions. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DI-524 help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DI-524 help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot to add
by duckman / September 4, 2005 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: DI-524 help.

I am connecting through the WAN miniport(pppoe), shouldn't I be able to connect through the LAN?

Collapse -
Using DSL?
by Michael Geist / September 4, 2005 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Forgot to add

you may want to forget that miniport, and set the routers Internet type to PPPoE, along with a user name and password the ISP gave you. Then run the Internet Connection wizard in XP and choose to connect through the LAN. IP's and DNS are set to auto.

Collapse -
My new 524 had outdated firmware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2005 9:27 PM PDT

It wouldn't connect until I updated the firmware. Did you update yours?

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Firmware updated to 3.20
by duckman / September 4, 2005 9:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
When did this occur?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2005 10:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Updated 09/05/05, this am
by duckman / September 4, 2005 10:23 PM PDT
In reply to: When did this occur?
Collapse -
Great news, bad news !!!!!
by duckman / September 4, 2005 10:43 PM PDT

The great news is I got the computers connected !!!!!!!
The bad news is now I have to dissconnect everything to propely relocate the router. At least now I know what to do.
Thanks for the help.

Another question is: The router is in the basement and when I checked for service in the attic, the computer said "service refused, new connection being made". I got internet service in the attic, but I think I was on someone elses service. Is that possible/likely?

Collapse -
Good possibility....
by Michael Geist / September 4, 2005 10:55 PM PDT

Take a look at your Wireless Connections Icon to View which Networks are Available.

How did you succeed?

Collapse -
Your tip
by duckman / September 4, 2005 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Good possibility....

The part of the router wizard "set PPPoE", I didn't realize that that was where I put by DSL sign on and password. Thanks again !

Collapse -
And it helped my router (again).
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2005 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Your tip

I updated the firmware (yet again) today from just last month and finally the wireless security works proper.

I had to use MAC FILTERING in the past to lock out rogue users, but with the latest it finally works as advertised.

A twofer today.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How do you know if you have rouge users?
by duckman / September 5, 2005 12:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Look at...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2005 1:15 AM PDT

Here, I point to http://192.168.0.1, login, click on the STATUS item, then WIRELESS and a list is shown of connected clients. If there are more than yours then someone is freeloading off your connection.

-> Why is this a bad thing?

a. You lose speed.
b. They could be downloading copyrighted material and it could be traced to your connection.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Aha, thanks, no moochers yet !
by duckman / September 5, 2005 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?