Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

DHCP cant renew IP address...

by JimJoeBobChuck / March 18, 2005 11:31 AM PST

I am using a Dlink wireless PCI adapter which is at around 11MB per sec. In event viewer I am recieving a warning as follows:

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

I am online and not experiencing any internet problems other than Com+ fails to fire up the connection to a subscription; seems to be when I start yahoo messanger

would care less about the DHCP problem, however my IP address has been the same for some time now. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DHCP cant renew IP address...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DHCP cant renew IP address...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My cure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 12:02 PM PST

For me, updating dlink driver fixed this. However, I have heard this doesn't always work and ... you may get lucky.

There's another issue that I'm running into. Some (nut?) has been promoting a set of instructions to secure WIFI and didn't follow up by revealing possible side effects. You can imagine how many networks I've had "tech" go out and turn the SSID broadcast back on. It's great money and if I could determine who's promoting this, "tech" would like to say "thanks for the work!"

Bob

Collapse -
No luck
by JimJoeBobChuck / March 18, 2005 12:57 PM PST
In reply to: My cure.

thanks for trying to help, but cant find a better driver match for the Dlink. Not sure what the problem is, and would like for my IP to remain dynamic although at the present its more like generic dynamic wanna be. Hey at least your making some cash.

Collapse -
Not your ISP
by nojmit / March 18, 2005 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: No luck

That message is saying that your router was not able to give your computer an internal IP address, such as 192.16x.xxx.xxx. Your IP address that your ISP gives you has not changed.

Collapse -
DHCP cant renew IP address
by JimJoeBobChuck / March 19, 2005 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Not your ISP

okay but shouldnt the IP address change since it is dynamic?

Collapse -
shouldnt the IP address change since it is dynamic?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2005 3:36 AM PST

No. The reasons for it to change are according to some rules. Such as some other machine was handed out that address and yours wasn't around to claim it.

There are a long list of rules about this, but dynamic doesn't mean it will change with every renewal.

Bob

Collapse -
Dynamic IP addressing
by JimJoeBobChuck / March 19, 2005 4:53 AM PST

Ok, then my question is why am I getting a warning in event viewer:Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000D88C84E36. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

and what is the semaphore timeout period?
Thanks,
Gary

Collapse -
Geekspeek.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2005 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: Dynamic IP addressing

That's one of those messages with it's root in technobabble. It just means the DHCP server didn't answer.

Just sharing, I recall someone that killed this with their firewall.

Bob

Collapse -
DHCP
by JimJoeBobChuck / March 19, 2005 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: Geekspeek.

Okay, so even though the lease on my IP address was up about three months ago, and it continues to lease me the same IP address that is supposed to be for 24 hours; it is a possibility that I can keep the same IP address, and that is ok? As far as my firewall I did notice it blocks default inbound Netbios Name and inbound Netbios. Oh well, this is getting deep for me. I am a student and it bothers me when I see warnings in event viewer. I just like to figure things out and why they work or dont work. If anyone has any other reasons why this happens let me know. I think it is a good thing to have your IP address change every so often if incase soemone else has it. I need to figure out how to get it to change.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?