There are a few tips on this page that give possible solutions to the cdrom devices going missing, including a link near the bottom regarding how they disappear after a Roxio uninstall so check out all of those tips for a fix.
I have a lite-on sohw 822s burner and a samsung cd-rom drive. The two devics appepeard on MY COMPUTER AND DEVICE MANAGER but after i was forced to restart my computer because of ann error it doesnt show up anymore.
I get no error message beause, my windows xp simply doesnt recognize the devices. I used to work perfectly. This devices are factory ship and i did not install them my self, so i dont knw what haappened.
1. The article [Q324129] discusses problems and discusses troubleshooting issues that occur concerning CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc, and contains multiple links covering their issues.
2. The article [Q314060] discusses issues when uninstalling and reinstalled Nero in XP or performing an upgrade from a previous OS to XP without uninstalling Nero first -- a known issue for both Adaptec and Nero. The resolution in general is to edit the system registry and removing the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values from the system registry.
3. The article [Q824894] describes issues that may occur if your CD-ROM or DVD drive is not configured correctly, the CD-ROM or DVD is damaged or dirty, or the Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) installation is damaged.
4. The article [Q314096] furnishes steps and describes how to troubleshoot problems with your CD-ROM drive.
5. [Q310123] lists 33 error codes that may be reported by Device Manager and provides possible resolutions. A "TechNet" article covers up to 49.
6. Use the Windows "Drivers and Network Adapters" troubleshooter.
7. "Your CD-RW drive is not recognized as a rewritable drive in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 [Q883523)."
8. "In the task manager I see that gearsec.exe running on my computer."
Pint-size luxury and funky style
Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.