Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Device to replace laptop for Internet TV over wifi

This may be a stupid question and may have been asked elsewhere that I can't find, but I hope I can find the answer. I have a Sony LCD TV that I have my laptop connected to via the VGA port. I cloned the laptops display onto the TV screen so I can use it for watching movies and tv shows from places like Hulu. My laptop is connected to the internet over wifi. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse to control the laptop (so I never have to leave the couch LOL). This all works great for me, but my wife is technologically challenged and I constantly have to do everything for her. Is there an easier way to do this? I have read about media extenders and other devices, but they seem to connect via USB and requirer special types of TVs that support internet tv. My LCD is older and does not have a USB port. It just has HDMI, VGA, RCA & Component ports. I was just wondering if there might be some specialized device that would take the place of my laptop, with specialized software (for internet tv) and a custom remote that would be a lot simpler to use then my current setup?
Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Device to replace laptop for Internet TV over wifi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Device to replace laptop for Internet TV over wifi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you looked at?

In reply to: Device to replace laptop for Internet TV over wifi

These things?

Apple TV
Google TV
Boxeee

Bob

Collapse -
I looked at Boxee and

In reply to: Have you looked at?

I really think I would like it IF, Hulu did not have it blocked! I have a personal campaign against Apple, so no matter how good their products are, I will not touch them until they change their Dictator Regime type marketing strategy that treats their customers like slaves. Google has great products, but since their primary business is collecting information on you for targeted advertising, I think I will pass on Google TV.

I downloaded the Boxee program and installed in my laptop. I works great and has a very nice interface that makes it easy to navigate using just the mouse. Boxee has two glaring defects though. The first and biggest defect is that Hulu blocks Boxee. So you can forget watching any of the popular new TV shows over Boxee (i.e. Burn Notice, Chuck, House, Psych etc.) The other glaring defect with Boxee is that, while there are thousands of ad supported movies you can watch on the internet for free, Boxee only pulls movies from paid sources like Netflix and Vudu. It also pulls from HULU, but what good is that? Oh, and there is no way to remove Hulu as a source, so you are constantly clicking on dead end links to Hulu content (WHY!). I like Boxee's interface, but they have a long way to go before they will be an all in one replacement for a laptop.

Let me explain exactly what I am looking for. I need a media play that;

1. Can connect to my wireless router via wifi for internet access.
2. Has an easy to use interface.
3. I can add new internet sources to pull media from.
4. Can play DVD ISO files from a USB connected Hard Drive.
5. Allows me to add custom Quick Links to the main screen for shows I frequently watch.
6. Has a bowser function, for plain old internet browsing from my easy chair.

It would also be nice if it had a memory feature that would allow me to resume watching movies that got interrupted for one reason or another.

Any ideas?

Collapse -
What I know.

In reply to: I looked at Boxee and

I've found folk that are looking for the perfect device.

Haven't found it.

Collapse -
What I know

In reply to: What I know.

Is that I asked for advice for device that could replace my laptop, WHICH can do all of the things I listed. So please don't try to indicate that I am asking for TOO MUCH. I am not an unappeasable person. I don't mind spending good money on products that work. What I don't like is to hear a whole bunch of hype about how awesome a product is, only to find out after I buy it that it is a half baked, experimental, unrefined piece of junk with all kinds of glitches. I know there is a technology race to release the next latest greatest gadget. I also know that in that race, companies forgo thorough testing and refinement of new products, just to beat the competition to market. But I blame consumers for this. I think consumers need to treat technology purchases the same way they would treat buying a parachute. If all consumers would stop being mind numbed zombies that are led around by unfounded advertising and hype, and started demanding that products be refined BEFORE they are released, the tech world would be a much better place to live.

On a side note. Are you the only person on these forums? No matter where I post, you seem to be the only person that answers. Not that I am not grateful for your advise(that is, when you not being judgmental and sarcastic) but I post to forums to get the advice of many people, not just one person. I guess I need to find a forum with more users where I stand a better chance of getting help from more then just one person.

Collapse -
Let's try it another way.

In reply to: What I know

What device have you seen that does what you listed?

I wasn't writing it was unreasonable, just that I haven't seen one. And I've been to the recent trade shows, been over in Taiwan a few times this year so I might have a good view on what's out there. Just maybe.
Bob

Collapse -
have you looked at Roku

In reply to: What I know

Have only seen demo at a friend's place but sounds like you're looking for Roku box - check out www.roku.com

Collapse -
The Roku flunked out.

In reply to: have you looked at Roku

Here's the list:

1. Can connect to my wireless router via wifi for internet access.
2. Has an easy to use interface.
3. I can add new internet sources to pull media from.
4. Can play DVD ISO files from a USB connected Hard Drive.
5. Allows me to add custom Quick Links to the main screen for shows I frequently watch.
6. Has a bowser function, for plain old internet browsing from my easy chair.

1, 2 was fine then it goes downhill from there.

Maybe a PC is the answer after all?
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for all the advice.

In reply to: The Roku flunked out.

I am working on building a HTPC. After much research it appears that all of the devices like GoogleTV, Boxee and the like, are in the beginning stages of development and a long way from being a "Refined" product. And once again, the media industry is going down the same path of absolute control that they did with MP3 music and all of these device manufacturers are in cahoots with them. Besides that, they all run around $300 and I can build an awesome HTPC (with blu ray) for my purposes for way under that. When will big business finally learn that freedom is the best marketing strategy and that you will never force dishonest people to be honest, but you can force honest people to become dishonest if you push them to far?

Collapse -
Lazarus -similar thing almost a year later.

In reply to: Thanks for all the advice.

Sorry about the major Lazarus thread here but since this one was the first one that came up on my search and it was pretty close to mine, I had to do some thread-cromancy.

Collapse -
Those TVs have issues.

In reply to: Lazarus -similar thing almost a year later.

But I did add a Logitech Revue and it's far better than the old Roku. You may want to check it out and see how well it works on the list given.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.