Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Device manager blank?

Why is my device manager blank????Nada. Shocking.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Device manager blank?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Device manager blank?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Device manager blank?

In reply to: Device manager blank?

Collapse -
Bill, looks like

In reply to: Re: Device manager blank?

you're having trouble with your Services not running properly.

You've posted 3 different threads now with different problems, but all seem to be related to disabled Services.

I know in your cable connection thread you said everything went haywire for a while, and I wonder if this has affected Services and disabled a bunch of them.

If so, you may want to goto your Management Console, (where you access the Services), and check down the list to see how many you now have that have been disabled.

Some may have been disabled anyway, (eg a lot of people disable Windows Messaging), but if most of yours are, then you may need to find out why, and investigate which ones to re-apply.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Mark, I agree 100% with your observation.

In reply to: Bill, looks like

Collapse -
Bill, looks like

I think you guys are 100% right.All the instructions never brought up the same tabs etc as yours was doing, except the last longer one. I punched in what you said made the changes, but no change.

Hate to ask this, bt this windows XP throws me off guard, a mile. How do I get to the management console?????

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Bill, looks like

Bill, Did you try this?

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, set the startup type for Plug and Play to Automatic. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
2. Double-click Plug and Play.

If you receive a Configuration Manager message, click OK.
3. In the Startup Type list, click Automatic, and then click OK.
4. Close Services.
5. Restart the computer.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Bill,looks like

In reply to: Re: Bill, looks like

Bingo! Short and sweet, thanks. I enabled a whole bank of files, did not know how to do just one. Anyway my device manager is full again. That kind of scared me.

Still will not play my disk, but have another computer along side so doesn't mater, just pride.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad it's fixed & Thanks for posting back

In reply to: Bill,looks like

Collapse -
Nope, it is not fixes.

In reply to: (NT) Glad it's fixed & Thanks for posting back

It will be time to get a new computer by the time I get the CD fixed.

SAMSUNG has had a bad software program. It instructions tell me to download to my CD, I can not because it does not record.

So thought a floppy would work, not enough room, no instructions for a second, " Just use use a larger floppy. HA!

Another question? I have often thought about it, when I get a problem solved do you want me to post the results?????

Collapse -
CD wont record...?

In reply to: Nope, it is not fixes.

Im not exactly sure what you are asking about it, but I would probably replace it with a new CDR/RW ROM drive.
They are relativly cheap...($40+)and very easy to install.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.