HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Device I/O Errors - USB HDD

by spudnuts / January 22, 2005 11:33 AM PST

Greetings
I have a Maxtor One Touch that started to go bandit on me and corrupt digital image file etc. I tried the usual WINXP tools (diskcheck etc) but kept getting Cannot XXX due to Device I/O Error. I managed to get some files off to another drive, but I have lost thousands of images. Reformatting the drive seems to have stabilized it, in that I can now read/write, but it seems there are still problems. Incidentally, I have now had 3 Maxtors go this way; coincidence?

I am now trialing data recovery software, but keep getting the same I/O error message. My questions are:
a) What might this error be and how can I fix it?
b) What is the best app for getting images back?

They all claim wonderful things on their websites, but I'm not getting any recoverable files listed.

Heeeeeeelp!

Thanks

Neil

PS I have cross-posted this on the Storage Forum, I hope this is OK.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Device I/O Errors - USB HDD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Device I/O Errors - USB HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Useful? You'll have to decide.
by Cursorcowboy / January 22, 2005 10:13 PM PST

1. The article [Q310490] explains the "Performance Logs and Alerts" option a user can use to collect performance data automatically from local or remote computers. Logged counter data can be viewed using System Monitor or export the data to spreadsheet programs or databases for analysis and report generation. The following capabilities are offered when using it:

? Performance Logs and Alerts collects data in a comma-separated or tab-separated format for easy import to spreadsheet programs. A binary log-file format is also provided for circular logging or for logging instances such as threads or processes that may begin after the log starts collecting data. (Circular logging is the process of continuously logging data to a single file, overwriting previous data with new data.)

? You can also collect data in a SQL Database format. This option defines the name of an existing SQL database and log set within the database where the performance data will be read or written. This file format is useful when collecting and analysing performance data at an enterprise level rather than a per-server basis.

? Counter data collected by Performance Logs and Alerts can be viewed during collection as well as after collection has stopped. Because logging runs as a service, data collection occurs regardless of whether any user is logged on to the computer being monitored.

? You can define start and stop times, file names, file sizes, and other parameters for automatic log generation.

? You can manage multiple logging sessions from a single console window.

? You can set an alert on a counter, thereby defining that a message be sent, a program be run, an entry made to the application event log, or a log be started when the selected counter's value exceeds or falls below a specified setting.

2. Similar to System Monitor, Performance Logs and Alerts supports defining performance objects, performance counters, and object instances, and setting sampling intervals for monitoring data about hardware resources and system services. Performance Logs and Alerts also offers other options related to recording performance data:

? Start and stop logging either manually on demand or automatically based on a user-defined schedule.

? Configure additional settings for automatic logging, such as automatic file renaming, and set parameters for stopping and starting a log based on the elapsed time or the file size.

? Create trace logs. Using the default system data provider or another application provider, trace logs record detailed system application events when certain activities such as a disk I/O operation or a page fault occurs. When the event occurs, logs the data to a file specified by the Performance Logs and Alerts service. This differs from the operation of counter logs; when counter logs are in use, the service obtains data from the system when the update interval has elapsed, rather than waiting for a specific event. A parsing tool is required to interpret the trace log output. Developers can create such a tool using application programming interfaces (APIs) provided on the Microsoft Web site.

? You can also produce trace analysis reports from trace log output files using the Tracerpt tool. Use this tool to process kernel, Active Directory, and other transactional based trace event logs, and to generate trace analysis reports and a .csv files from binary logs.

? Define a program that runs when a log is stopped.

? If you want to export log data to Microsoft Excel, the Performance Logs and Alerts service must be stopped because Microsoft Excel requires exclusive access to the log file. Other programs are not known to require this exclusive access; therefore, in general you can work with data from a log file while the service is collecting data to that file.

3. To start or stop a counter log, trace log, or alert manually:

a. Click Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then double-click Performance.

b. Double-click Performance Logs and Alerts, and click either Counter Logs, Trace Logs, or Alerts.

c. In the details pane, right-click the name of the log or alert to start or stop, and then either click Start to begin the logging or alert activity defined, or click Stop to terminate an activity.

Note: There may be a slight delay before the log or alert starts or stops, indicated when the icon changes color (from green for started to red for stopped, and vice versa).

4. Command-line tools which can be used in conjunction with, or separate from, System Monitor and the Performance Logs and Alerts snap-in, "Description of the Windows XP Logman.exe, Relog.exe, and Typeperf.exe Tools (Q303133)."

5. Also note, that %SystemRoot%\System32\Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat files are created by the System Monitor and that when you shutdown normally, the file should be deleted. If however there is an abormal shutdown, and for reasons yet to be determined, these files can become orphaned, and accumulate on your computer, [Q285798].

Collapse -
Re: Device I/O Errors - USB HDD
by Cetin Denislam / January 22, 2005 11:49 PM PST

Your unknown PC configuration isn?t working now using windows XP (unknown Service Pack) with One Touch Maxtor. With the (un)supplied info, at this point your priorities should be:

1. Recover your data
2. Solve the I/O error

1. I don?t see if you tried the Maxtor on another PC. Due to the fact that your PC doesn?t work well now with it, attach to another windows XP (2000) PC. If it seems to work there, try :

GetDataBack and choose the package according to file system.

2. For this one, there is not enough info. One point to check is to boot in Safe Mode, logon as Administrator and try to access the One Touch there.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Thanks
by spudnuts / January 23, 2005 10:01 PM PST

Hi, thanks for replying

OK, I'm using WInXP Home edition, SP1. I have two external HDDs, the Maxtor that's going a bit mad, and an IO Data 160gb USB drive that works perfectly, I have 2ghz chip in a Toshiba Satellite laptop with 512mb RAM. Not a cutting edge setup, but should be more than capable.

Everything else seems to be working fine, no virus, crashes or funny noises.

I agree that my priorities should be 1 then 2, however, when I try to do 1 I get error 2 telling me I can't.

I haven't tried the drive on another computer yet. At this moment, I can access it ok, and can read and write to it, but when I try to use recovery software, I get the I/O error again.

I should point out, that while I have a little experience, I'm not an expert in this kind of thing.

Cheers

Neil

Collapse -
Re: Thanks
by Cetin Denislam / January 24, 2005 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

You have a problem with external Maxtor. That's why you should try it on another PC. If it doesn't work there too, it should be a warranty issue (if still in warranty)

Anyway, the idea it's that you'll have to have a second opinion (e.g. another PC) in order to get more clues. If by chance you can use there, quickly use a recovery utility. After you'll succeed to save some data, again it's time for returning it back.

You are welcome and "Good Luck"

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.