Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Device for transfering Digital 8 tapes to PC?

by PreRaphaelsMuse / July 26, 2008 11:58 PM PDT

I have a Sony Handycam whose firewire port does not seem to be working (we've ruled out all of the other problems). I can connect it and capture through USB but the quality is bad. Is there some type of device that can be purchased that I can connect to the PC and pop my digital 8 tapes in to capture the footage? If so where can I get one?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Device for transfering Digital 8 tapes to PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Device for transfering Digital 8 tapes to PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 12:07 AM PDT

There are some that think a player or adapter cartridge (which does not exist) would be cheaper than a camcorder. It isn't.

The fix is this. Go get another compatible camcorder.

I've seen people complain about this and if we give them enough time to season they eventually end up with the same solution.
Bob

Collapse -
I agree with Bob -
by boya84 / July 27, 2008 5:49 AM PDT

but you know the firewire port on the computer is working because... ?

Collapse -
firewire
by PreRaphaelsMuse / July 27, 2008 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree with Bob -

My brother brought him camcorder over and used my firewire cord and port and it picked his camcorder up fine. I took mine in to the tech department at school and none of their computers would pick up my camcorder with firewire - only USB. Sony only has USB drivers, nothing for the firewire - they said computers on xp should automatically pick it up. If you have other suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

Collapse -
Nope... other than one more thing to check...
by boya84 / July 27, 2008 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: firewire

In the camcorder's menu, there may be a setting... if you have it...

i.LINK conv needs to be off.

It is not unheard of for a firewire port to fry if it is plugged in or unplugged with everything (camcorder and computer) is powered up and a short happening because a bad or wrong cable was attempted.

Collapse -
settings
by PreRaphaelsMuse / July 27, 2008 10:46 AM PDT

Mine doesn't seem to have any settings specific to i.link. Thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
Device for tranferring Hi 8/ digital 8 tapes to my computer
by ACM10 / July 27, 2008 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree with Bob -

I believe PreRaphaelsMuse asked if there are other devices to load a digital 8 tape and connect a firewire cable to his computer. I would like to know the same answer. Ive transferred from my sony TCRDRV 320 camera hundreds of times to my computer, now it doest work due to my daughter sticking something in the Ilink DV port and breaking off one of the pins inside. I have purchased a mini DV camera a year ago but I would like to get alot of my old digital 8 tapes tranferred on my Mac.
Ive searched for a compatible camera and all I could find is ONE on Ebay that states it works great except for the firewire port is broken. It is hard to find a camera like this one that plays Digital 8 as well as Hi 8 tapes. So as PreRaphaelsMuse asked...... are there other options?

Collapse -
Hi 8 - digital transfer

..... are there other options?

None that I know of. The only practical way is to get another camera with digital output.

Perhaps you can borrow one from someone.

Another much less practical method is to play the Hi 8 output to a TV and then just tape the screen.

I guess the lesson to us all is "Get the High 8 and digital 8 tape video onto a current tape or computer technology". I guess that goes for all precious originals. Every 10 years or so we have to convert them from one platform to the next.

In my family we started with 8mm film and original photos. Then we transfered to 8mm to Hi 8 then DVD's. The photo's I have had to scan and keep on my computer. I also upload the photo's to a photo sharing / printing site in case my computer crashes. Every new hard drive I have to copy all the digital media to the new storage medium. Perhaps in a few years I will be transfering all my digital media onto blue ray discs.

Jim Haley

Collapse -
"It is hard to find a camera like this one that plays Digita
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 9:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
other options...

I looked into getting it fixed. They have a flat rate of $141 to repair it. We have about 8 tapes with video that needs to be captured. What we will probably end up doing is sending the tapes into one of those transfer places (seems to be about $9 a tape) and save up for a new camcorder.

Collapse -
those transfer places...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: other options...

Be sure you are not expecting too much. Most do an automatic to DVD service and the compression, loss is more than what some expected.

Be sure you get the tapes back.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?