PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Developement machine configuration for ASP.Net Developement

by pons_saravanan / November 30, 2009 10:48 PM PST

Hi Experts

I have searched over the internet for finding the ideal configurations for ASP.Net development with Visual Studio 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 in a single machine. I will not use this machine for gaming, but I may use Adobe Photoshop once in a while.

I am already using Intel Core 2 with 2 GB Memory. But still it is taking a lot of time for compiling.

I am planning to Upgrade to I7 with 12 GB Memory

What will be the configurations I should look for?
Please help me to build my dream computer for developement.
Thank you for taking your time to help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Developement machine configuration for ASP.Net Developement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Developement machine configuration for ASP.Net Developement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How long is a lot of time?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 11:16 PM PST

Here my VS2008 dev system is a simple 4GB HP laptop with 2.5GHz C2D and fast drive. Compile time is less than a minute so how long is a long time?

Collapse -
It depends on the the solution being built
by pons_saravanan / December 1, 2009 9:38 AM PST

Hi
it depends on the application you are using to compile. if it is just a website it wont take more than few seconds. If you have a base page in web application and all webpages are derived from that page, and few component projects attached to the Solution then it takes few minutes to build. When i see the CPU usage it is hitting 100% and staying there till it finished compiling.

Collapse -
Let's look at a two minute compile time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 10:00 AM PST

Let's say you have a 2.0 GHz C2D. If you found a 3.0 GHz C2D it would only reduce it at best to 1.33 minutes. And you expended about 2K bucks for that.

Here's my advice. Move to a desktop with the fastest i7 QuadCore, 8GB RAM and Windows 7 64 bit Pro and you'll be at the peak of today's offerings.
Bob

Collapse -
How to choose motherboard
by pons_saravanan / December 1, 2009 12:43 PM PST

Hi Bob

I never liked notebook for developement right from the day i have started programming. I have a desktop and i would like to go for desktop only for this new configuration also.
As i said in my OP, i am going for i7 with 6gb or 12 GB(unlikely because of cost to effectiveness).

If you have any idea on best motherboard, and other required components, Please suggest
I have already visited few reviews. Most of them are game centric. So i may not need to spend so much money on the mother board which is designed for gaming. If you know any motherboard which works better for developement, can you please suggest me.

Thank you for taking your time to answer.

Collapse -
You may want to do more research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 10:01 PM PST

I never advise on a motherboard. What I can get here is gone tomorrow but here's a nugget you want to ponder.

In today's designs you see TRIPLE CHANNEL memory on these new i7's so you want to see 3, 6, 9 or 12GB RAM since those are the common multiples to get the memory at top speed. This and seeing stability issues on home built machines means I don't suggest building your own for a programmer.

Here's why. We want to do our programming. Not build and troubleshoot.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!