Desktops forum

Question

Determine cause of crash

by Stargardt74 / August 23, 2013 1:49 PM PDT

So here is a good one and I have had several people take a look and thus far "not solved".....

- asus P6x58D Premium
- Vengeance 24GB.
- Interl I7-930
- ATI 7850
- WD 1TB 6GBs
- Win 7 -64 Pro

- problem: when playing BF3: after about 3-5 minutes a hard reboot. (full power down)
Originally had a ATI 5750 which caused when watching Netflix that the system would reboot.
Eventview: "kernel power error" no diagnostic info.
Now with the 7850 card, which is a PCI3, it does not happen with Netflix but with BF3. (I could play BF3 for hours without problems on the ATI 5750)

Replaced: RAM, Graphics card, power supply, motherboard. All had no effect.
With the replacement of the power supply I went from a 850W to a 1000W, which caused the reboot to happen faster.... Now you say.. get an UPS.. so I did.
APC 1300 Pro 780W. Wattage when playing BF3: varies around 350-400... so no real issue for the UPS, but after 3-10 min: hard reboot.

CPU: works great. tested with Prime95/64. Temperature foes way up to close 98C. So stopped that after a short time. but system was stable.
GPU temp on the 7850 when playing BF3 for the 5 min: 60 or so.

Any ideas of where to look? I am lost.... and not a real hardware expert but starting to feel like one.

Thanks - Jerry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Determine cause of crash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Determine cause of crash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Stress test
by Willy / August 23, 2013 8:40 PM PDT

I suspect that being a gamer, you've pushed it too far. While you have the making of a good PC, it is still a PC. I have always pushed cooling to be a prime factor in keeping a gaming platform, stable. The extreme conditions a gamer makes is too often on the high side, so you never give a PC a chance to goof and when it does, it goes awry. All cycles are 100% on the high side, a typical PC may have some lag or give as it were in order to recover and continue on. I would reduce ram and see how that does, you can test but test it fully in the time it needs. Further, if not already done, make sure your mtrbd. bios is at the latest release. Check you ram status to see that are all the same. I use PCWizard 2013 and they better better being model-xyz-yada at 1-2-3-4, etc., no difference. If possible assure the bios is set to best receive that ram. In some cases, increasing ram voltage(slightly, cpu also) can help if only to make the all banks overall equal. In other words it boils down to "fine tuning" the system for best results. Of course, if you mtrbd. isn't advertised as a gaming platform, you've pushed a plain jane PC beyond it limits. Even though it may not seem like it, the best area to check is video, as that is often an area that needs immediate cooling, even with monitor s/w status saying otherwise, that s/w can be off by 10%. Also, a GPU just isn't as tolerate over time to keep things happy. i don't know what is present but having water-cooled is better. GPU, must also advertise that's a better gaming setup to have.

FYI- Even gamers that have all the right parts and all, sooner or later they'll complain that it lasts only 2-3hrs. before it reboots, etc.. Over time it starts to degrade because of heat stress and overall high demands. You should check out gaming websites that have a handle on such issues. They're more keen on what's what as another help source.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
re stress test
by Stargardt74 / August 26, 2013 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Stress test

Thanks Willy, I'll give the PCwiz a go. See what it can find.
I find it however weird that a ATI 5750 card has no problems with BF3 but crashes on Netflix and that an ATI 7850 crashes the other way around.

The motherboard is advertised as an extreme overclocking board (which I do not do) so I think it should not have a problem with running BF3.

reg

J.

Collapse -
Is this Netlix on a web browser?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2013 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: re stress test

If so the old Flash Hardware Acceleration is a little too well discussed. Research that.

As to the other card I find driver hell to be a good cause. We can't just swap cards without issues.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?