Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Details on KB887797 for Outlook Express

by roddy32 / December 15, 2004 11:41 AM PST

This is the KB article that we have all been wanting to read. There is nothing really drastic on it but it DOES apply to anyone using Outlook Express versions listed below. XPSP2 also has a couple of issues issue fixed in it towards the bottom of the page for Outlook Express. It doesn't matter which OS on the other fixes from what I can see anyway.
APPLIES TO
? Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5 Service Pack 2
? Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5
? Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887797

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Details on KB887797 for Outlook Express
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Details on KB887797 for Outlook Express
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Details on KB887797 for Outlook Express
by michhala / December 15, 2004 12:30 PM PST

I do not use Outlook Express -- do use MS Outlook Contacts and Notes, however. I use the Outlook Contacts to print envelopes and labels from Word. Do y'all think it necessary for me to install critical updates and/or optional for Outlook Express just the same?

I did install the Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1 (KB823353).

Miki

Collapse -
Hi Miki
by roddy32 / December 15, 2004 6:08 PM PST

The Update that you mentioned was a critical one that was released back in June. When you visit Windows Update and the scan says you need a CRITICAL update, you should always take it regardless of whether you are using Outlook Express or not because it is installed on your computer or not Windows Update wouldn't have seen it in the scan.As for any optional updates, they are just that, OPTIONAL and it is your choice as to whether or not to install them. If it was me, I would install this particular one IF Windows Updates gives you the option to because it fixes some issues in it, which in YOUR case if you EVER DO use it they are there. That is just my opinion but it's your choice.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you, Roddy...Miki
by michhala / December 16, 2004 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Miki
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Miki :D
by roddy32 / December 16, 2004 3:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: SP1
by John Robie / December 16, 2004 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Miki

Guess you gave up on talking Miki into getting the big SECURITY update (SP-2). Wink

Collapse -
Re: SP1
by michhala / December 16, 2004 9:58 AM PST
In reply to: Re: SP1

Hi John -- I will be installing SP2 eventually when everything else on my computer is O.K, and I feel calm enough and have the time to deal with its problems. Actually, it is my habit to wait at least six months to install a revolutionary program. Happy

(Do I get any points for having ordered the SP2 CD the very second it became available ?)

Miki

Collapse -
Ah, 1001 points Miki
by John Robie / December 16, 2004 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: Re: SP1

Didn't know you had it that soon. Happy

Yes, everything needs to be ok on your computer or SP2 will sure let you know. Here's hoping you get everything squared away, a nice person like you should not have PC pains.

Course you can take a chance and remember System Restore & the MS method to uninstall.;-)

JR

Collapse -
Ah, 1001 points Miki
by michhala / December 16, 2004 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: Ah, 1001 points Miki

Ah...such a nice post. Thank you.

John wrote:
>>Course you can take a chance and remember System Restore & the MS method to uninstall

This blonde is not one who lives dangerously or close to the edge Happy

Miki

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ty and that was very helpfull
by Mark5019 / December 15, 2004 12:38 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome mark :D
by roddy32 / December 15, 2004 6:09 PM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!