General discussion

Detailed 3D Computer Specifications

First of all , this is my first time I post my discussion to this forum so if there is any mistakes , forgive me . I am currently studying 3D Studio Max and I'm interested in making 3D Characters such as Avatar which needs detailed rendering and I've heard that it needs a high end perfomance hardware . And I am planning to buy either a Macbook or Macbook Pro , but I'm not sure if Apple has the correct specifications to my needs so I can also switch to buy other laptops . So , my question are :
1 ) Should I buy Apple products because I want to use Final Cut Studio 3.0 or should I switch to other products ?
2 ) What kind of minimum hardware to create high detailed 3D Characters such as Avatar ? Example is how much size does minimum video card is enough for my needs , processor type and clock speed , and the RAM I should use . Note : Maximum RAM is 8GB

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Detailed 3D Computer Specifications
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Detailed 3D Computer Specifications
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
As to the Apple machines.

These are very nice and if you want, look at the big hardware in the Mac Pro at http://www.apple.com/macpro/

However and how do I put this nicely? Today's hardware is quite a step up from last years machines. And the machines from the years before last years machine gave us Avatar so it would be hard to say that you absolutely need a macpro.

But I would like to see THE APPLICATIONS you use picked out first before you choose the machines. Final Cut is great stuff so the macpro would be fantastic for a work machine.

THEN I see you write about laptops. Today I see folk confusing work horse machines and laptops. We are not there yet.

But for some work a laptop is fine, just high end work with a demanding user would have me go back to machines like the macpro.

---->>> The Video RAM question is SIMPLE. Let's take a look at how much ram to show one image on a 1080p display. This is SIMPLE MATH. 1080 x 1920 pixels = 2,073,600 and with 3 colors we need 6,220,800 bytes of video ram to display the image. Mind you I worked on video display electronic design so I have a leg to stand on.

Now let's talk about 3D and it's impact on the display buffer. Zip, nada, nothing. We only need 6MB to show that image. After this it's all GPU and more to change the 6MB image for the next frame. It is that simple.
Bob

- Collapse -
Computer Hardware Mac for 3D Creation

The hardware problem is solved and now I'm searching for this new information . Well , I've heard that 256MB of video card is okay , so I'm up to Mac but I found out again that Mac's video card is shared with main memory and not dedicated or independent video card , so my question is should I buy Macbook Pro or something but not desktop ? Thank You for answering my question

- Collapse -
Over analyzing?

This is something akin to picking a car based on how many lug nuts are on a wheel. Shouldn't we focus on the App first then see it perform on the machine second? And if the app performs well why would we care if the video ram is shared or not?

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info