Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

DESPRATLY+URGENTLY NEED TO CONVERT DVD TO VCD

by picassoline / April 2, 2011 4:25 AM PDT

Please i'm required to convert a dvd to a vcd and burn unto a vcd. how can this be done in the shortest of time(got less than 6hrs to deadline). already collected cash in advance to do the work. i have abt 25 copies to produce.
also, I'll need to make two DVDs into one DVD. what software can i use and how do i go abt it.
This will be saving my life and integrity.
PLEASE HELP SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, HELP!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DESPRATLY+URGENTLY NEED TO CONVERT DVD TO VCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DESPRATLY+URGENTLY NEED TO CONVERT DVD TO VCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ok, I am going to keep my comments to myself.
by ahtoi / April 2, 2011 5:17 AM PDT

I don't know what software or hardware to help you there. Personally I know Nero Vision 4 can do this. I don't know about the newer vision though.

Just a little suggestions: You rip the dvd to the harddrive then convert this to a vcd image then make the vcd from the image. Good luck.

Collapse -
rippin dvd not the problem
by picassoline / April 4, 2011 7:38 AM PDT

Rippin the dvd is the issue but after ripping, converting to a vcd bcomes a problem. the softwares i use either make it to large;2 cd plates (which is supposd to be the maximum) is 1400M(700M each) but the conversion from VoB to MPG gives me within the range of 1.56G - 2.+G for various softwares.
My challenge now is fittin the converted on not more than 2 vcd plates.
10x for ur help. If u get any more...

Collapse -
I has been such a long time ago...
by ahtoi / April 4, 2011 6:56 PM PDT

that I played with VCD. If I remember correctly, I think each cd can hold about 40 minutes of video. So a normal movie might take 2 or 3 cd. VCD was popular in the old day because dvd discs were very expensive. But now cd and dvd is about the same price, so why are you doing it this way? Just curious.

Collapse -
Y vcd
by picassoline / April 5, 2011 3:38 AM PDT

Well, there was a program that was aired and pple needed to get it urgently but the copies in the market is few so i was took the business upon myself(though it's like wat i do) to produce 'initially' DVD copies but after attempting to produce a DVD i discoverd it took me like 18hrs to make a copy and i had a deadline.considerin the burnin time it takes for a cd compared to dvd, i decided to make them in cds.though it was after i've exhausted all possible means of burnin a dvd for a lesser time even if nit were 3hrs but to no avail.
hope this ans ur curiousity?

Collapse -
Ok, let us back track and see what we have.
by ahtoi / April 5, 2011 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Y vcd

1. the contents is a tv program.

2. VCD was not the original choice. Reason for vcd is because you THINK it can be produce more quickly (maybe true but not as much time save as you might think).

3. It took 18 hours to produce a dvd (something is very wrong here); it should never take that long.

I don't know where you are, but here..I would use a standalone dvd recorder to record the tv program then make copy of it. However, this forum won't let us tell you how it is done, sorry.

There are lots of good video authoring and editing software out there, such as Nero, Corel, Sony, Adobe, etc. for make dvd. Good luck.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2011 7:03 AM PDT

MANY years ago when video editing was just hitting the PC my Acer ter-600 could render a full DVD to be burned in only 6 hours.

This was on a Pentium 3 laptop with 256MB RAM and 11GB HDD.

One wonders if this is some Pentium 1 machine to take so many hours.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes I remember those "over night"...
by ahtoi / April 5, 2011 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

encoding well. Have not use that method since standalone recorder dropped in cost so even a poor sole like me can afford it, hehe. But 18 hours...wow.

Collapse -
mayb u can tell me with ur experience
by picassoline / April 6, 2011 7:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

Someone mensioned to me earlier in this post that there was problem and that it was not suppose to take close to that at all.
Well, i use Acer Aspire 5735
250GB HDD, 2 GHZ(duo), RAM 2GB AND A 32-BIT WIN VISTA HOME PREMIUM.
the current free space in my C drive is 15 GB and in my D drive is 5 GB
and i used ashampoo burning studio 9

Though i'v presently solved the problem into cds but i'd really like to know y my dvd burn took so long.
10x

Collapse -
Re: burning takes long
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 7:29 PM PDT

To research that, split it into 2 parts:
1. Convert to an iso-image.
2. Burn the iso-image to DVD (free IMGBURN does that, if you don't have another burning program).

That way you can see in what of the 2 processes there's a bottleneck.

Kees

Collapse -
You took the money?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 5:26 AM PDT

Not being cynical here, but this is going to be a very steep learning curve considering the time scale.

Perhaps, give the money back with a promise to 'do the research first' would be best?

Just another comment from me. I am a suspicious person by nature so I will apologise in advance for any error of mine. But doing 25 copies suggests this is some commercial "copy protected" DVD film or other you are copying. If so, then you will get no help from these forums as that contravenes "Forum Policy" about piracy.

Mark

Collapse -
not like that
by picassoline / April 5, 2011 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: You took the money?

Well u have a point but to start with, i try as much as i can not to find myself at odds with the law so that's not it.
Like i explained earlier it's a program that i needed to reproduce and yes it's commercial(this is one of the ways i am sustaining at present).
Apart from the fact that givin the money back is not good for my business, it won't also favour my survival as well. Besides, the pple are more interested in the their copies far more than their money. Even if i charged thm more than i did they would still pay to get their copies.
I also don't like to seem incompetent. Should i later have a competition, i won't be patronized much.For short, I love to set my heart to do a thing and get it done. IT guys usually say in IT all things are possible and this is the angle i work from always.
SO WHAT HELP CAN U NOW RENDER?

Collapse -
Re: not like that
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 5, 2011 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: not like that

In your original post (April 2, 11:25 PM) you stated that you had 6 hours until the deadline. So that would have been April 2, 5:25 AM. It's somewhat amazing to see you still are asking for help at April 5, 10:48. That's more than 71 hours later.

What conversion and burning programs did you already try in that 71 hours, and why weren't they sufficient. We would hate to suggest something that you already discarded as useless.

Kees

Collapse -
u rite
by picassoline / April 6, 2011 7:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: not like that

it was supposed to be ready sunday mornin but since there was time problems burnin with dvds i return them and got vcds and explained to the people that i had a problem with the discs. I asked for more time though i did put everythin in the hand of God. and that i got.
Presently I've solved the problenm into cds using dvd flick and magic dvd ripper. After trying the two of them i realised the dvd was made into 3 discs instead of my anticipated 2 discs. So i continued to see if any of them can cut of part of the video(middle part) before the conversion but to no avail so i made the discs like that and by yesterday(wed) mornin they were made ready for those that came for them.
Though the problem is solved but it is not my desired solution,so rite now i want to kno y my acer 'specs above' cannot burn dvd for a short period of time and how i can edit and cut part of the dvd before convertin to cds.
for short, i just want to be a guru at doing this since it's my present trade.
SO NOTHIN ANYONE HAS BEEN SAYIN IS A WASTE AT ALL.

Collapse -
Odd idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 5:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
10X ALOT
by picassoline / April 6, 2011 7:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Odd idea.

ur blog is just the solution i required. I am grateful. Solved the problem using ur dvd flick and magic dvd ripper.
like i asked u earlier pls let me kno y my dvd burnin is so so so slow and what solution there is to it. replied to ur above acer post and gave my specs.
Also, the dvd was produced into 3 discs instead of my anticipated 2 discs. Tried to c if dvd flick could trim off part of the dvd video b4 converting to cd but i was totally unsuccessful.
Whatever the case i'd like to really work with dvds and not set pple backwards in the society cos of my short comin or incompetency.
under normal circumstance, how long is a dvd burnin suppose to take?
Be expectin ur reply. 10x, cos of u, i'm of the hook.

Collapse -
DVD BURNING TAKES...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2011 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: 10X ALOT

At 1X about 1 hour per DVD for the usual 1 sided 4.7GB drive.

Bob

Collapse -
let me xplain the principle behind it
by picassoline / April 6, 2011 7:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Odd idea.

a drownin man will clutch to a straw.
wen u are desperate, everythin gets pumpin and punpin fast so...
it's possible though i didn't succeed in doin it myself.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.