Computer Help forum

General discussion

desperately need printer help!

Hi, I have an HP computer with Windows XP version 2002, service pack 2. One day I went to print something and it asked if I wanted to add a printer. It was just gone. When I try to add a printer it says unable to complete operation print spooler service is not running. i've tried turning it on and it says system is unable to locate the file. when i tried uninstalling and reinstalling my printer from the cd it says it can't finish because the rcp service is not running but it shows it is. i even tried installing new drivers, that didn't work either. any suggestions? i'm lost without my printer.
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: desperately need printer help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: desperately need printer help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Make and model

In reply to: desperately need printer help!

of printer, please and how you connect the printer.

You can first try...

Start, printer and faxed(Might be in control panel)and see if your printer is listed there. If so, then make sure the printer is online.

If connected USB, check the cable and make sure it's connected. Also if you have something else, try using it in the usb port and see if the USB port is working.

Start, run

type services.msc hit enter

look for the print spooler and make sure it's set for automatic. Restart the service. Since you said that the printer is completely gone, that may not work.

Rick

Collapse -
tried all that

In reply to: Make and model

hi, i've tried all that. i had a printer one day and the next it was gone. i went to print something and it said if i wanted to print, i had to install a printer first. i didn't change or do anything. i've unconnected and reconnected. when i try to add a printer it says the print spooler service is not running. when i try to start print spooler the message says could not start the print spooler service on local computer. error 2 the system cannot find the filed specified.

Collapse -
What about System Restore?

In reply to: tried all that

It may not be too late...

Collapse -
system restore

In reply to: What about System Restore?

i can't even do system restore. i've tried to go back to numerous dates up to six months ago. it says unable to restore.

Collapse -
You still didn't provide

In reply to: tried all that

the make and model of the printer and how it's connected.

Rick

Collapse -
make model printer

In reply to: You still didn't provide

i'm sorry, it's an hp 2110 all in one. i'm not sure what you mean how i connect. the printer is connected to the computer by a usb on the back of the computer i believe. sorry, i'm a little computer smart but still learning, lol.

Collapse -
Try this

In reply to: make model printer

Disconnect your printer. Un-install your printer. Try control panel and also look in that start programs and make sure your printer is NOT listed there.

Restart your computer.

Now go to Device manager. (right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controllers section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs and working your way to the top, USB Universal host controllers, Un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything there and correct the problem. Please be patient.

Now download the latest drivers from here. Install the drivers, you'll be prompted when to connect the printer.

Now what do you get?

Rick

Collapse -
deleting

In reply to: Try this

i just want to make sure i got this right before i delete anything. starting at the bottom, there are (4) lines that say usb root hubs. then above that there are (3) lines that say intel (r) (with some numbers) univeral host controllers and then above those there is intel (r) enhanced host controller. do i delete all of these?
thanks

Collapse -
Just in the USB section

In reply to: deleting

un-install everything there, then restart your computer. Windows will find them all again. Usually one of the USB items malfunctions and you can't find it. It says everything works correctly, when it isn't. Doing this will get everything back on track.

Rick

Collapse -
Yes, un-install them all

In reply to: deleting

it will work, after you restart your computer. Please be patient.

Rick

Collapse -
not good

In reply to: Yes, un-install them all

ok, i did it. it said the install was complete. then when i tried to add the printer......same message, the print spooler service is not running. tried to start the service and it says it cannot find the file specified. i even downloaded something else from the hp link you gave me with regard to print spool problems. still the same thing. any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Collapse -
Make and model of computer

In reply to: not good

operating system and do you have the disks?

Consider running sfc /scannow (Space between the c and /) and insert the disks.

Rick

Collapse -
system

In reply to: Make and model of computer

microsoft windows xp home edition version 2002 service pack 2. if by disks you're referring to windows xp disks, i don't have them. everything was already loaded on my computer when i bought it. i really do appreciate all your help.

Collapse -
So I know

In reply to: system

you have HP Computer with XP Home and a HP printer 2110 AIO Printer.

To fix the HP computer, I'm afraid the only way to recovery is throught the partition, unless you make the disks, yourself.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=268202&messageID=2608176#2608176

But, in order to recover an HP computer, you have to all but reinstall the system and all files and folders WILL BE LOST. Please back up all files and folders or items you can't afford to lose.

You can then restore your computer back to the way it was when you purchased it by pressing F11 when you see the HP screen.

Rick

Collapse -
exact same problem

In reply to: desperately need printer help!

I have the exact same problem, same computer, but different printer. Im curious if this problem was ever resolved. I have tried everything, i believe there are files missing that are needed to run the printer/spooler and dont know how to find them, i would love to know if anyone has any advice for this problem. thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.