MacBooks forum

Alert

desperately need mac help

by Enoch07 / March 13, 2015 3:52 AM PDT

I am running os x Yosemite. I have 480 GB of available storage. Every application i use (except safari terminal and text edit) is not working. For example, if I open Photo Booth, nothing happens. I press cmd+opt+esc and it says not responding. then i have to force quit. This happens with every other program. In audacity i can open it and record things. but if i save the project, i get a beach ball and i have to force quit. If i try to make a video call in Skype, same thing. All of these also happen with the adobe suite. No program will work. For some reason, the programs only work in safe boot. SOMETIMES they work in normal boot, but that RARELY ever happens. Even if it did it would only be temporary. I tried verifying and repairing disk permissions. I tried making another user account, but the same thing happened. That did not work. I tried uninstalling everything program on my mac (except default programs). I even went as far as erasing and reinstalling os x all together. Not even that solved the problem. My mac had to be taken back to the store. They said nothing was wrong with it. What could be the problem. I don't think it's a hardware issue. Don't think it could be a software issue either because I reinstalled the entire os. So what could be the problem? KEEP N MIND THAT THEY ONLY WORK IN SAFE BOOT. SO it's probably not a failing hard drive. I don't to us my computer in safe boot because my Wacom tablet will not work and the computer will be slow. Please give me a solution. This mac is the only computer I have and I need it to animate. Here are links to 2 videos so you can see the problem for yourself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=por7J_2e8sQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzCRJNfl0BA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: desperately need mac help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: desperately need mac help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell if you've done the usual Apple OS X repairs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2015 4:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bit more information is required here.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 13, 2015 9:42 AM PDT

available storage is not really a great concern unless you have very little.

How much RAM do you have?

take a look at Activity Monitor, it's in your utilities folder.

What is eating up your processor cycles?

Try an AVG AV scan. It's free.

Do NOT download anything like, and including, Mac Keeper!

P

Collapse -
Answers
by Enoch07 / March 13, 2015 11:08 AM PDT

1) I have 4GB of ram

2) I'm not exactly sure what that means, I'm not sure how to view processor cycles unless you talking about that graph that says "CPU load"

3) Isn't avg for windows?

4) is AppCleaner included in things i shouldn't download?

Collapse -
Thanks
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 14, 2015 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Answers

1. Absent model, 4GB should be OK for Yosemite
2. Activity Monitor. It's in the Utilities folder. Launch and click CPU in the tabs then click %CPU Time
If the numbers in that column are 0, click again to sort again. what is using the most cycles?
3. Also for the Mac. Download, install and run a Scan
4. AppCleaner is OK. Avoid anything from Wondershare or Softonic for a while.

Take a look at Users & Groups in your System Preferences. What is contained in your Login Items.

Did you ever boot into Safe Mode and then run Disk Utility?

Do you have good backup of the data you do not want to loose?

I'm concerned that the Apple Store said there was nothing wrong with it. Did it not do the same for them?

P

Collapse -
More info
by Enoch07 / March 16, 2015 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

1. Nothing is in my login items
2. I havn't tried that
3. I don't have any backups. But there is nothing on my mac that is important to me.
4. I wasn't the one that took it to the store, my uncle did it for me. It's actually HIS laptop that he gave to me as a christmas present. I wasn't able to show the issue HIM because my mom took it to my uncle so he could take it to the store. I don't know what they saw at the store.

Collapse -
I would suggest that you take it to the Store yourself,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 16, 2015 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

assuming that we are talking about an Apple Store here and not some "We kinda fix MACS"

For a machine with all the problems that you describe, I find it very strange that an Apple Store would say what was reported to you.

With nothing on the machine that concerns you, if you cannot get to the store with your laptop, then I suggest a complete Format and Install of the OS but NONE of the other stuff you have on there.

Store first though.

P

Collapse -
How?
by Enoch07 / March 17, 2015 7:24 AM PDT

How do I do a complete Format and Install of the OS?

Collapse -
Your first post said you had already done this,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 17, 2015 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: How?

or were you mistaken?

Boot into recovery mode (Hold down R at boot up)

Find the Disk Utility that will be part of the recovery process and Format the disk as OS X Extended(Journaled)

Continue with the OS install from there.

Store?

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?