Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

Alert

Desperate need of a computer hardware guru!!!!

by dennypaul21 / April 15, 2015 7:06 AM PDT

Okay, so i purchased an acer veriton x2631 i7-4770 500gb hdd 4gb ram, the motherboard just says, Acer Inc. H81H3-AD. I cannot find the service manual to this motherboard for the life of me, and its really cramping my lifestyle. I play games on this PC and I wanted to avoid it running too hot, so i purchased another case, it being a midtower, a lot bigger than the mini tower case it came in. I disassembled everything in the old case, transferred to the new bigger case, the screw holes match up, everything fit just how i imagined it. Heres my problem. The front panel connectors. I cannot get the power switch to power my motherboard on. Ive tested the power supply, and the power supply runs fine. Im beginning to think, im not hooking the front panel connectors up right, due to the fact, every diagram i see that shows the JFP1 connection doesnt look like my "original case" f_panel connector.

Old case F-Panel Connector:

top row looks like this ^

all other diagrams look like this<div>******
</div>*******
if that makes any sense to anyone...
if that doesnt help anyone thats willing to help me, i will gladly email you real pictures of what im trying to show you lol..

diagrams are telling me to hook up like:
pwr led+ pwr led-//pwr swtch+ pwr swtch-
hdd led+ hdd led-//reset+ reset -

i have tried this.. didnt work.
i have tried switching the +and- around and nothing changes, and for the record i am doing this in the ONLY F-Panel connector on my motherboard, there is nothing that is actually labeled closer to where i need to be. the pins to this connector isnt even numbered live ive seen on most. help someone.. before it literally drives me insane.. and thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desperate need of a computer hardware guru!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desperate need of a computer hardware guru!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's the spec. on the -M3
by Oldartq / April 15, 2015 2:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
Make it work
by Willy / April 16, 2015 2:49 AM PDT

Sometimes like in a LED light connection the 2-wire connector is backwards for V+ and grd., even though the labeling suggests otherwise. You reverse it and then it works, the LED comes on when it suppose to. Your wiring is now different from old to new case. The spacing is that if intended for DIY'ers offers more latitude in connections. But, you have to follow what's what and that may make you move a wire over, say if 2-wires on a 3-connector setup, the 3rd is empty, but is intended to key the connection, but is can't for every dang mtrbd. out there. AND yes, you may need in severe cases find a proper connector(old scrap harness) or cut and splice. Not all connections are pretty and thus as I stated, know what's what.

I suggest you flip or turn-around the connection in question. For actual true power ON/OFF, you can use a small screwdriver or discrete metal contact and short the pins for a moment, will start the PC. Oh yes, sometimes this is confusing on the matter of labeling, especially any so-called OEM type harness which are a 1-plug setup for all connections. Here you have to determine, what's what again. In most typical cases you won't damage anything if wrong, it simply won't work as intended.

The wiring itself can be moved within the connector, just depress in the opening(little if any force), depresses the tongue and the wire slides out, then move to new location. I use an awl or sharp point for such tasks. I make these on the go, by cutting at angle a paperclip and thus a sharp point. This all works if you have the typical connector harness.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!