Cameras forum

General discussion

Desperate for my 18th birthday photos

by topgunita / September 17, 2005 8:58 PM PDT

Hi all, I'm from Italy, so excuse my English.
I just become 18 years old, and as it's common in Italy I had a huge party with my friends. One of them was encharged to take some pictures of that wonderful and special day. Today I received them and they were terrible (I've never seen anything similar to that before). I'll post you a link with one of the images.Please try to restore it and if you succeed please let me know that with a restored image.
Thank you in advance

http://www.hostfiles.org/files/2005...19_DSCN0961.JPG

Hosta gratuitamente le tue immagini su Hostfiles.org

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desperate for my 18th birthday photos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desperate for my 18th birthday photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad link
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 17, 2005 11:52 PM PDT

The link you posted does not work for me.

Collapse -
heres one for the math freaks ;-)
by jonah jones / September 18, 2005 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad link
Collapse -
That worked for me
by taboma / September 20, 2005 3:39 PM PDT

Jonah, That worked and I was able to get the image.
I do not know how you did it, yet it worked for me. Kind of a nice photo. Needs color correcting in photoshop that's for sure.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Link failed. However, even if it succeeded, no one is likely
by Kiddpeat / September 17, 2005 11:57 PM PDT

to do good restoration work for nothing. Such services usually fetch about $100 per hour.

This is one of the better 'Looking for free goods and services' posts I've seen. The sheer chutzpah is amazing.

Collapse -
A few people ARE likely to be interested.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 18, 2005 12:07 AM PDT

So, please post a good link and we will see if the photo can be improved.

Collapse -
Thanks to the one who are interested
by topgunita / September 18, 2005 3:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not a hard thing to do
by mrobzo / September 18, 2005 6:40 AM PDT

There are many programs available to you for photo repair and enhancement. Try Jasc Paintshop pro, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Picture It or any of the many photo programs. I know your young but it is not polite to go into an information shareing sight and ask for free service. It is rude.

Collapse -
free service? rude?
by jonah jones / September 18, 2005 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Not a hard thing to do

wow!
i thought he he came to a help forum and asked for help...

Collapse -
Hi, Jonah. Usually people come here for help learning...
by SE Moderators / September 22, 2005 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: free service? rude?

how to do things. That's not the tone of the original post (which comes across as "please do this for me!") So I don't blame KP for taking some umbrage. OTOH, the problem may well partially be a matter of tone in an unfamiliar language, since the original poster's from Italy. Meanwhile, I'm temporarily locking this thread to clean it up some.

-- Dave K.

Collapse -
Dave: Cleaning up ?
by taboma / September 25, 2005 3:39 PM PDT

Dave, really not sure what you deleted, yet thanks.
I met with Lee Koo and Dennis Smith today (Sunday, Sept, 25th) in Braintree, MA. on their tour.
I told Lee and Dennis that these posts, from the Digital Camera forum, trying to help out a young kid, was one of the best I have ever been into and read.
Kidpeat was the hero in my estimation. I got into it rather late. Tried to help out also.
Nice forum issue.
Told Lee and Dennis what a great job Joe Randolf
(our Mod) did. The threads were just amazing. I have read them start to finish three times so far.
I'll probably read them again.

Dave, thanks for helping out.

-Kevin Smith

Collapse -
rude asking for help ???
by topgunita / September 18, 2005 10:31 PM PDT

I'm young, you're right.However I was told already to help people when they are in need... I don't think I'm rude because that's just a forum, a place when you can express your opinions and ask the others. I wasn't asking any of you for free professional service( in fact I already sent a copy of the picture to a lab) but just an opinion (since I'm not an expert) if there was the possibility to solve the problem with some simple steps with Photoshop.That's all.
However thank you for you post

Collapse -
Oh, it looked to me like you wanted someone to fix the
by Kiddpeat / September 19, 2005 6:52 AM PDT

photo, and upload it. You would then have the fixed photo. I did not realize that you just wanted an assessment of whether Photoshop can fix it.

The answer is yes and no. Yes, Photoshop can fix it. No, it not just a few simple steps in Photoshop.

Did you upload any normal photos?

Collapse -
no normal photo
by topgunita / September 22, 2005 3:53 AM PDT

I didn't upload any normal photo because they are all ruined

Collapse -
This response is emblematic of the utter callousness...
by hfguide / September 19, 2005 11:57 AM PDT

... of contemporary society, where money is everything to the point where a young person asking for help on a public forum is seen as *rude*. Sad-- just sad.

It reminds me of how in a simpler time when baseball players used to give their autographs for free; now young people who want one are sneered at that nothing in life is free, and that they should expect to pay $500 for one. The absurdity.

I'm sorry it annoys some people when others ask for help, but some of us don't mind helping people. If you don't want to help, it's a simple matter of just ignoring them instead of making a big stink about it and trying to embarrass the person or make them feel bad.

Collapse -
You Are 100% On Target....
by Psych Doc / September 20, 2005 4:26 AM PDT

...The other poster(s) here who seem to be having a bit of a caniption because this poor guy asked for a little help are absolutely pathetic and should be ashamed of themselves.
What a drag some people are!!!

Collapse -
GREAT !!
by topgunita / September 22, 2005 3:55 AM PDT

Finally there's somebody who defends me !!! Asking for some advices is not breaking the law I think !!!

Collapse -
amen.
by PinkNBlack21 / September 20, 2005 5:08 AM PDT

I agree 100%.

Collapse -
Photo Rapair
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 18, 2005 10:57 AM PDT

The photo was taken with a flash.
The flash was too strong or the camera did not adjust properly.

I tried several methods to improve the photo.
I used the PhotoShop Elements 3 program.
I used:
Enhance/Adjust Lighting/Brightness Contrast
and set the brightness to -25

That helped the overall appearance, but that did not get rid of the white highlights on the face.

I used the Clone Stamp Tool set at 50% opacity to blot out the white highlights, and soften the color changes in the face and ear.

I then removed the bright background lights near the ear, with the Clone Tool set at 100% opacity. Those lights were distracting to me.

I still think that the color is a bit orange, but was unable to correct it and keep a natural appearance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/randol9p9/FirstFix.jpg

I then cropped the photo to get rid of some of the background and here is what it looked like after the crop:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/randol9p9/FixPlusCrop.jpg

That is the best that I could do.
Someone who knows PhotoShop better than I, can probably do better.

Since these are once in a lifetime photos, you may want to get someone to work on the best ones.

Collapse -
congratulations and kudos!!
by jonah jones / September 18, 2005 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Photo Rapair

you just showed people what a help forum is all about!

jonah

Collapse -
Actually, it looks to me like it's got too much green and
by Kiddpeat / September 18, 2005 2:27 PM PDT

blue. I played with it a bit, and found it needed lots of curve adjustment layers each operating on a different problem. It would take a lot of time to get it looking natural. That's why I asked him to post a normal photo so that skin tones can be seen.

However, time is money or opportunity, so I probably will not do anymore.

Collapse -
Quite easily?
by taboma / September 20, 2005 4:08 PM PDT

Kidpeat, Please do not listen to those people that are not into graphics or photography. Just ignore them as I do.
Thanks for trying to help and your expertise. Welcomed by me.
I was able to download the file with the help from Jonah Jones. I will try to color correct the image using Photoshop V6. The file is low resolution, yet that's ok. Looks like the flash was used and very grainy image. Almost posterization effects

Give me a little time Wed. evening.
Right now, I am posting at 2:10am EST. Kind of late to start up Photoshop. Plus the fact, I want to read the rest of the posts.
Let's hope they are good ones.

Kidpeat, I need an address to send the file to. I could send the file to other members and they could set up a link for you. Let me know.
I could send it to Bob Proffitt also.

Bob, Is that OK with you?

-Kevin Smith

Collapse -
Thanks for your comments. I use PS CS2 these days, and
by Kiddpeat / September 20, 2005 4:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Quite easily?

employed 15 mostly color adjustment layers with masks. I also did quite a bit of cloning and patching. I also whitened one eye and one tooth. I think it looks a lot better, but still needs more work.

If you want to send me something, you can send it to kiddpeat at yahoo dot c** where I'm sure you know what the c** is. I'll be looking forward to your results.

Collapse -
You look a bit too angry man!
by topgunita / September 22, 2005 3:59 AM PDT

Hey ! Thanks for your trying. However I must say that I didn't oblige anybody to do a long job to fix my photo. I was just asking for some advice for me, so I can fix the other 40 pictures that are as ruined as the one I uploaded !!! I think you should calm down a little.
Anyway...thanks for you nice try

Collapse -
Link to Kiddpeat's repair efforts.
by SE Moderators / September 22, 2005 6:45 AM PDT

I deleted several posts, including his, that turned into mainly an insult-fest, but didn't want to remove the link to the fruits of his labors. I'll also quote the beginning of his message, before the insults, since it helps explain the difference of opinion about the original request.

http://img5.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img5/5/demo.jpg

The (edited) meat of his post: "There is no such thing as a free lunch. If you expect people to take the time to learn to use Photoshop for this kind of work, who are you to DEMAND that they give those skills away?! You don't seem to get it. What is being asked for is a gift. There is NO OBLIGATION to give gifts. Giving can be done freely, but there is, and should be, no sense of compulsion."
-- Dave K.

Collapse -
thank you
by topgunita / September 18, 2005 10:27 PM PDT

Thank you very much for your kindness in trying to fix my picture. At least you understood that I didn't create this forum just to save money...(as others could have thought).

Anyway, now that I know that some serious work can fix them I'll try to find an expert to recover them.
Thanks again

Collapse -
birthday photos
by tasuray / September 20, 2005 3:50 PM PDT
In reply to: thank you

hi
you download PICASA2 from Google, it is free.
Hopefully your problem will be solved easily because it can be used by anyone even a novice.
best of luck.

Collapse -
For those who are interested, you should probably
by Kiddpeat / September 18, 2005 10:41 AM PDT

upload a good photo of the people involved. Otherwise, it is impossible to know what your normal skin tones are.

Collapse -
i tried...
by StinkFace / September 18, 2005 3:29 PM PDT

This didn't take me long so don't expect too much... i just messed with the curve, then adjust the hue and saturation, and finally cropped the photo. Just as Kiddpeat suggested, post a well exposed picture for reference. well here it is....

http://home.comcast.net/~n2szero/20050918125019_DSCN0961_Fixed.jpg

Collapse -
Thanks for the support
by topgunita / September 18, 2005 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: i tried...

Thanks for the nice try, it looked more natural. Unfortunately I can't post a picture for reference because all of them are like this Sad . I was told that probably the problems are due to a light filter activated in the camera.

Collapse -
you could always try the ''old fashioned'' way
by jonah jones / September 19, 2005 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the support

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!