Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

desktops moving from 32 bit computing to 64 bit

by raydoz / August 13, 2005 1:45 PM PDT

Hello everybody,

I have spent a lot of time and energy upgrading my computer. I installed an Intel 3 ghz cpu with HT. I have 2 new 120gb hard drives, 2 gb of DDR RAM, 256 graphics card, all in one printer, 2 dvd burners and 2.1 speaker system.
I love my computer and I am proud of myself for being able to put it together, but I realize that 64 bit computing for the consumer is becoming more and more real everyday.

My computer is running xp but it's 32 bit. I was wondering if anybody could tell me when you think 32 bit computing will be competely obsolete? I really dont want to have to buy another another motherboard and cpu supporting 64 bit yet because I have spend a lot of money on my current computer. Well I hope I didnt sound too weird here LOL.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / August 13, 2005 2:34 PM PDT

When all the bugs have been worked out on the dual-cores and consist of more than one core on a single die. ANd when virtualization tech comes in. WIndows Vista w/sp2 and probably DDR3 for memory, along with SATA II as the new standard. ALso when agp is completely replaced by pci-express. Grin

Collapse -
depends on what you use it for
by AKonny47 / August 13, 2005 3:12 PM PDT

yup, ur pc should last awhile. just remember this statement.

There are still people using windows 98! Games and software still support older OS's.

dont worry about the 64 bit wave., believe me, it will be awhile for extensive amounts of software coded in 64 bit to appear.

enjoy life, and be proud of the work you put in your pc.

konny

Collapse -
Depends on your needs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2005 11:19 PM PDT

For us at the office, we're on the 64-bit path with a switch to 64-bit capable machines for over 6 months now. We have a reason in that we develop software and use some 64-bit video rendering tools.

The switch will be some years from now compared to what happened on the 16 to 32 bit switch, but expect some titles will create more 64-bit pull when they arrive.
Bob

Collapse -
re:
by raydoz / August 14, 2005 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends on your needs.

thanks for your comments everybody. I feel better about the computer that I have worked on building over the last few months.

Ray

Collapse -
don't worry too much
by angryfirelord / August 15, 2005 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

You won't see 64-bit programs for at least 2 years. Even then, I'm sure what companies will do is have programs made for 32 and 64 bits.

Besides, I still know a few people who run win98 and a PII processor.

Collapse -
Say what?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2005 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: don't worry too much

I'm using Virtual Dub in 64-bit now.

We have internal use programs that are 64-bit now.

I'm very happy with the performance in 64-bit land and will not be returning to all 32-bit world.

Bob

Collapse -
he's not using that
by angryfirelord / August 15, 2005 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Say what?

If all of the new computer software was to go 64-bit, they wouldn't sell a lot of software because most people still run 32-bit Pentium 4 computers. Maybe for a business or server or workstation that's needed. And I know 64 is better than 32.

However, Average Joe doesn't even know what a front side bus is. So he's definately not ready to dump his current machine now. Also, 32 bit stuff outnumbers the 64 bit stuff greatly.

32 bit is going to linger around for a few more years. Heck I still run 16-bit DOS games occasionally.

Collapse -
Just noting...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2005 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: he's not using that

My reply is about " You won't see 64-bit programs for at least 2 years ". Since we see 64-bit programs today, and I use them, can you agree that such do exist?

Bob

Collapse -
o sry for the confusion
by angryfirelord / August 15, 2005 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Just noting...

What I meant was "you will see a lot more 64-bit programs in 2 years"

Sometimes I forget to read my posts b4 I submit them.

Sorry for any problems.

Collapse -
This is not a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2005 8:40 AM PDT

It's a discussion. I appreciate your posts. You've written very well in the forums and I hope you get to try out a few 64-bit monsters soon.

Bob

Collapse -
It depends...
by jrmar07 / August 15, 2005 8:31 AM PDT

It depends how the market will spin it. If Intel had been first to make a 64 bit cpu, it would certainly be the latest and greatest thing. But since AMD was first, they did not publicize this advantage (which would have been good marketing), very little average people know of AMD's 64 bit. Now, I can imagine Intel doing another "centrino" with their 64 bit. Everyone has heard of Centrino and everyone wants one. But it all traces back to Intel's large clientele (Dell, Gateway, most OEM). AMD chose to keep it quiet, which may have been a mistake on their part. So since a big wave of 64 bit does not appear in the future by Intel, I think the transition will not be as fast or drastic. It will happen like AMD does things; quiet and unnoticed.

Another thing to keep in mind, since the last transition from 16 bit to 32 bit, there are alot more PC owners out there. Alot of hardware would become obsolete very quickly if their had been a mass transition. People would not be happy.

Who should you consider a 64 bit cpu?
Good question. People like Bob Profitt, who deal with professional software and applications daily, certainly should. It is these types of software that are already going to 64-bit and are the first. However, I am now seeing some games in "64-bit editions," like Farcry. In this segment its the latest gamers with $5,000 systems that 64-bit pertains too. People who need to have the latest in technology and power. So unless you are the professional or intense gamer, I would not worry about the 64-bit wave.

Do you want your computer to last more than 4 years? Sure, maybe then consider 64-bit if it makes you feel better. I often recieve customers unaware and I give them the basic outline. They end up leaning towards a 64-bit machine even though they are average PC users. It makes them feel better.

Heck, my next computer will be 64-bit. It makes me feel better too lol.

Collapse -
I can't resist.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2005 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: It depends...

The same was said about the installed user base of 16-bit machines (then the 80286) as to why 32-bit would not take hold for over 4 years. If you remember, it only took over a year.

I'm not writing we'll see it in one year, but the gravitation and pull is there.

-> http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/info.htm shows the current lineup of Intel mainstream production CPUs. The number of 64-bit capable units is quite high.

My crystal ball prediction is that the Apple Intel shift will accelerate this trend.

Bob

Bob

Collapse -
. AMD chose to keep it quiet,
by jcrobso / August 19, 2005 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: It depends...

Well keep in mind that the AMD64 came out in fall of 2003.
M$ was working on XP64 but didn't relase it untill after Intel came out with thier 64 processor.
A lot has to do with production capacity. Keep producing 32 processors or change over to 64bit?? I think they will change over to 64bit. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!