Computer Help forum

General discussion

Desktop wont connect to internet

by freakyjord2025 / May 21, 2006 9:55 AM PDT

Ok, Im never gonna get Hewlett Packard AGAIN! My windows 98 pavilion 8760c desktop is freshly restored by the 2 recovery discs it came with. I just installed my D-link wireless card but I cant connect to the internet. The D-Link Airplus program says I have a high signal and strong connection, but when I open internet explorer, it doesnt connect and the refresh page shows. I get that error 59: network protocol error when i boot up. How can i fix this error and get internet back to my desktop??? O yuea, i hate HP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop wont connect to internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop wont connect to internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably Not HP..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 10:52 AM PDT

Wireless was just a dream when Windows 98 was first got started..

Have you run all the Critical Updates from the Windows Update site? If I remember correctly, there are some fixes for various network protocol/winsock issues in those old updates.

Have you tried hunting the D-link site and making sure you've got the most recent software drivers for the wireless card?

Have you tried running the LSPfix tool from the link below?

HOpe this helps.

Collapse -
re: probably not HP
by freakyjord2025 / May 21, 2006 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Probably Not HP..

thnx grif, you and da other advisor are really cool for helping me... well i wish i can update but that desktop cant get any internet connection, im going to try that website now, ill reply bak later

Collapse -
by freakyjord2025 / May 21, 2006 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Probably Not HP..

ok i got the program into my desktop but it does nothing to the registry. can you give step by step instructions on how to use it?

Collapse -
OK, Then Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 22, 2006 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: confused

The "Winsocks" registry keys may be gone entirely, so please try this. Download and run the WinsockXPfix tool from the link below. It should do the job where the LSPfix did not. As before, you may need to download on a friend's computer, then burn the file to a CD so you can transfer it to your Windows 98 machine.:

One other thought..It's very possible you're having problems because of the version of Internet Explorer you're using. The original Windows 98 or 98 Second Edition came with really old versions of Internet Explorer. You need to upgrade those in order to be supported on many systems. Two things I can think of are listed below. (I would use both options to make sure you can get online. Find a friend with a broadband connection and a CD burner, then download and copy the installers for both programs below to a CD and run them on the Windows 98 machine.)

1. If you haven't installed Internet Explorer 6 already, download and install Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 (the "ie55sp2.exe" file) from the link below. AFter you get online, if you choose, you can then install IE 6 SP1 from the Microsoft Site.:

2. Download and install the free Firefox browser from the link below:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
re:OK, Then Try This...
by freakyjord2025 / May 27, 2006 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: OK, Then Try This...

thnx for all da help, but i figured out the software for my wireless card was malfunctioning, right now, im just connected to the wireless router through ethernet cable and the internet runs perfectly except one thing. everytime I start my win98 desktop, i get the error 38 in protocol 0 window. i always click ok and everything gets loaded but its getting annoying. i already tried changing my name and network but im not even on a network so how do i get rid of that error?

Collapse -
Error 38 Message
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 27, 2006 1:31 PM PDT

First, although you may not know it, you ARE on a network.. That's what the router does.. It creates a internal network separate from the internet.

Network Error 0 or Protocol Error 38: This generally indicates a duplicate computer name is in use on the Network. To correct this, hit cancel at the logon prompt (you cannot logon with a duplicate computer name). Right click on Network Neighborhood, choose Properties, Go to the Identification tab. Under Computer Name, type a new computer name.

See the lower part of the page (in red) in the Microsoft link below and follow all of the procedures for checking your network connection.:

Troubleshooting Windows 95/98/98 Second Edition Network Connection Problems

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
internet goes on and off
by freakyjord2025 / August 10, 2006 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Error 38 Message

Ok, my win98 desktop is connected to the wireless router through ethernet cable, but each time im on, the internet suddenly isn't connected and IE wont load. Most times i just wait or ctrl-alt-del and try to stop something to see if the internet connection comes back, but mostly i have to disconnect my ethernet cable from my comp and reconnect it or restart the computer. I tried reinstalling my ethernet driver but it still didn't fix the random connection lost. How can i stop this annoying problem?

Collapse -
And Does The Problem Cure Itself If....?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 11, 2006 11:07 AM PDT connect directly to the modem instead of using the router? It could be a bad router..Have you search the router's website for the newest firmware? Updated firmware has fixed lots of connection problems for my customers.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?