Computer Help forum

General discussion

Desktop won't retain settings ....

I make a change on to, say, keep me signed in to my name and password, or in ebay I set my default page to a certain thing, but every time I close down the computer and roboot, these settings have not been retained, its just back to what it was before.
Someone suggested it could be something that is conflicting, but I have NO idea how to stop these programmes, I know how to stop Norton, but the other ones I don't, like firewalls and spyware. I have XP, and have Norton and Spysweeper.
Can anyone suggest anything please??
Billyjess

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop won't retain settings ....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop won't retain settings ....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How are you creating these settings?

In reply to: Desktop won't retain settings ....

Collapse -
Won't retain settings

In reply to: (NT) How are you creating these settings?

As the body of the programme tells me to. In ebay I go to preferences, then I scroll down and click on what I want to retain as my default opening page, then I click Apply, and then go out of it.
With hotmail I just click on the dot that says 'remember my name and pin unless I sign out' and then just carry on.

I always do what the programme tells me to do.

Billyjess

Collapse -
You're wiping out your preferences that are set in

In reply to: Won't retain settings

Collapse -
I agree

In reply to: You're wiping out your preferences that are set in

Web sites, (nearly all professional web sites), place cookies on your computer when you visit them. It makes for faster loading of personal details and preferences if you re-visit them.

Cookies get a bad press, and rightly too in some instances. But sometimes, you just need them for certain sites, eg where you set your own preferences for eBay, or whatever.

Whichever browser you use, go into it'sTools or Preferences and/or Internet Options, and re-check your settings for cookies.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
I did that

In reply to: I agree

Mark I did what you said, and in Explorer under settings it says Check for updated pages etc etc. and I have it marked as 'Automatic', it has always been on that.
Is that what you mean?

But other settings I have on here stay, just this ebay one won't retain to go into the page I want, or the hotmail one won't retain it to go straight in past the initial rubbish ...

wendy

Collapse -
What do you mean?

Cursorcowboy, I'm not at all sure what you mean, can you please elaborate??

Collapse -
Just clicked

Oh, I've just clicked what you mean, don't delete 'cookies' ...
mmmm, this is one thing that most people tell you TO do, so why would you say not to?
these settings I am talking about don't stay set before or after deleting cookies ...
Billyjess

Collapse -
Still not sure what you're asking about...

In reply to: Won't retain settings

If I understand correctly you are having trouble setting your Home Page And saving a password.

To save your home page: Go to the web page that you want to save as your Home Page.

While this page is on your monitor left click on ''Tools''

Then left click on ''Internet Options''. (Intenet Options should open to the General tab.)

On the General tab under Home Page left click on ''Use Current''.

Now left click on ''Apply''.

Then left click on ''OK''.

To save passwords and personal information for filling in forms: Again access Internet Options.

Left click on the ''Content'' tab.

Under Personal Information left click on Auto Complete.

Select the approppriate radio buttons to indicate wether you want Internet Explorer to save passwords or personal information on forms.

Then left click on ''OK'' and ''OK'' again.

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking about. However it's a good idea not to save passwords or personal information on your computer or on any web site, particularly if it involves financial information. Any information saved on a computer or web site can become subject to hacking, compromise, and loss.

Collapse -
I'm on ab out

In reply to: Still not sure what you're asking about...

when I am going in to Hotmail, where I have an account, there is a box that comes up with three options to mark, one is 'remember my name', one is remember my password, and I think the other, from memory is remember my name and password unless I log out, which means I don't have to log iin every time, but go straight to my mail area.
I set the one that says rmember my name and password so I miss it all, but next time I go into it, it doesn't, it goes back to the box where I have to sign in manually again.
the mark just goes back to rmember my password or something, but it remembers neither, like it isn't even there, I have to log in totally every time.

The other one is the same in ebay, when I log in to ebay, I have gone into preferences and set it up so that when I log in, it goes straight to the page where I have everything selling, things that have sold, etc., my summary page.
It does not retain that, even tho when I go back to the setting it is still set as that, set on the default page being 'My summary'.
It keeps taking me to Items I am Watching, which is something I don't want, then I have to wait while I go into My Ebay, which is the page I have set as default.

Neither of the above retain the settings ...

Collapse -
Neither of the above retain the settings ...

In reply to: I'm on ab out

Allow you to fill in your e-mail address automatically or to sign in automatically to the Passport Network

In Microsoft Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Privacy tab, and then click Advanced.

Select the Override automatic cookie handling check box, and then under First-party Cookies click Accept.

Click OK, and then click OK again.

Important: To protect your privacy, we recommend that you do not use this option if you are using a shared computer, such as a computer in a school or library.

Both sites should let you save sign in information. If not contact Microsoft Passport Network Support by e-mail at http://support.msn.com/contactus_emailsupport.aspx?productkey=passport&ct=eformfree

Or Ebay Help

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: Neither of the above retain the settings ...

Wow, this is a piece of hidden stuff I have never been in before, never knew it existed.
I have done what you have said, thank you, and when I log on in the morning, I'll check if its worked.
thank you in advance ..
Billyjess

Collapse -
did that

In reply to: Neither of the above retain the settings ...

but it doesn't work. Still I can't retain the settings ...

Collapse -
Billyjess

In reply to: did that

I'm out of wits. Hang in there. Hopefully others will post other ideas.

Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.