Computer Help forum

General discussion

Desktop won't poweron after power surge

by tinkapark / December 13, 2010 2:06 PM PST

Here's the story:

The power in my apartment has been known to go off and on atleast twice a month. My computer was turned off and plugged into a surge protector when it happened this morning.

I go to turn the computer back on, and nothing happens. I finally swapped the power supply with an old one and nothing happens. Granted, I recently bought a new PSU because this old one was acting funny, so it could have bit the dust as well.

Does the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L have an LED light on the board to indicate that it's getting power? If so, then it's not lighting up.

I have cleared the CMOS by removing the battery and leaving the PSU unplugged from the wall for several hours.

I'm thinking either the PSU/and or motherboard are shot. My question is, will it hurt to plug in my PSU to another desktop to see if it works? I don't want it to short out someone else's desktop if it's faulty.

I would hate to buy a new motherboard if this one is fine. Please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop won't poweron after power surge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop won't poweron after power surge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Even when the computer is off
by lacsr / December 13, 2010 8:18 PM PST

The power supply is still supplying some power to the motherboard, even if the computer is not on. Therefore, something could have been allowed to transition into the computer during the power disruption. In order to test the power supply, they do sell testers for that purpose. However, if that does not appeal to you, just buy a new power supply. They are much less expensive than trying the old power supply on a different computer and ruining the other computer. BTW: I have UPS on all my desktops just for the insurance of any mishaps like you are describing may have happened.

Collapse -
Would this be okay to try?
by tinkapark / December 14, 2010 1:55 AM PST

If I can get my hands on a working PSU, would it be safe to hook it up to my motherboard and see if it powers on? I would like to isolate the problem before I buy new parts.

I just don't know if there is a risk of damaging the PSU by plugging it into a possibly faulty motherboard.

Also, thanks lacsr and Willy for the replys. I will definitley take better precautions against power surges in the future.

Collapse -
Protection isn't 100% guaranteed
by Willy / December 13, 2010 9:20 PM PST

If there is a LED on mtrbd. and its not-ON, then the PSU is probably kaput. If that LED is lit, then the power is present but again, the PSU has issues or kaput. Since, you've AC glitches and sometimes you lose power, the down side is repeated power issues. While an UPS helps, it can't help in repeated or prolonged hits. In fact, if yours is a simple UPS, its protection maybe already compromised. While an UPS can save a PC, as I suggested repeated hits will lessen its value and these hits aren't always apparent. I suggest you replace the UPS or add singular AC surge protection at plug and include surge power strip(s) as well. Cheap is cheap, since you already have problems, buy whatever better protection. Alas, a new PSU should be a decent name brand as those too are prone to power glitches, while a better build one *may* survive repeated hits up to a point.

Here is my protection plan due to lightening hits and power lost due to poles down or icing:

AC surge plug(dual) replaces AC cover at outlet. Use of surge power strip and individual AC surge protectors on each AC cord and last an AC line conditioner to help squelch power highs/lows. The system bios is set to remain-OFF when power is lost. As a plus, I use LED lit protection to show "active" when in use, if LED is OFF, that particular link is kaput and then replaced. Notice, no UPS as i use the system when-ON, off when not. As UPS provides time to help shutdown the system if required in a safe time factor.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Re: "...turned off and plugged into a surge protector "
by Edward ODaniel / December 14, 2010 4:41 AM PST

By any chance have you checked the surge suppressor?

If you have been getting power surges frequently it could be that the suppressor itself has failed because every surge weakens the suppression circuitry.

Collapse -
power problem
by tedtks / December 17, 2010 8:27 AM PST

I have had a few. Plug the pc into the wall
socket - if it works that will point to what you
have in between the wall and pc.
power strips wear out a little more every time there
is a surge - good cheap fix.
Mine goes to a Triplight Isobar - to a APC Backup-UPS.
Power probs here are only a couple times a year - but my Triplite 4yr old 750w power supply had problems a couple months ago. was dropping voltage to the mobo video area. I thought it was the vid card, them mobo.
spendy way to find out that swapping the ps it fixed it.
electricity is a tricky little devil LOL
Now I am having the power just plain shutting off
for no apparent reason - but could be heat related.
going to check the big mobo pwr connector to see if any of the lines are dropping voltage.
all it takes is a 1.5v or 5v line to mess things up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?