Windows Vista forum

General discussion

desktop wallpaper

by Java1 / December 2, 2009 10:41 PM PST

I was recently attacked with a malware that messed up my cp. I was able to get the problem removed, however am having some problems with the photos that I had d/l and use as my wallpaper.

The photos do not appear there is a common picture over each photo some has a name but not picture. My cp has corel photo installed and I do not like it, I have found that there is a windows photo on my cp and it has all the photos displayed is there any way that I can use that to display my wallpaper

Or simply put how can I get the photos to appear?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: desktop wallpaper
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: desktop wallpaper
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What was the malware's NAME?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2009 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: desktop wallpaper

Fixing this can depend on the name and what this malware did.

By now you have learned that removing the malware does not undo the damage. So try this. Set the wallpaper to none for now until more is known.

Also, if you abbreviate, tell what that is at least once.
Bob

Collapse -
Malware
by Java1 / December 3, 2009 1:19 AM PST

It was named "Security" It was trying to get me to sign up for their site. It kept telling me all of the different viruses that was trying to infiltrate my computer. It would list a lot of names and want me to use their security tool to clear them off. Which I did not do.

I have used avg for some time and while I was trying to figure out what the problem was I kept watching the task bar and I was getting emails returned from avg and I had not emailed them at all. The last count I had was 1540 returns which I am trying to delete.

With all the security I have on board makes me wonder if anything is effective

Bob not sure what you mean by "set the wallpaper to none"

Thanks

Collapse -
Grif's advice now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2009 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Malware

Read http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?messageID=2968150&tag=forums06;posts#2968150

Use the tools he notes there.

-> "cp" has been known to mean computer, control panel or anything else so be sure you tell what you mean.

Read the discussion at the next link. Skip down to "Edit: I found the policy and made a modified registry file with it.
Try downloading and running the one at" http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/enabling-vista-wallpaper

I didn't write how to do basic stuff like change the wallpaper. Hopefully that's not under discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
malware
by Java1 / December 3, 2009 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Grif's advice now.

Bob, thanks for the information. Some how or other I was able to get the icons in my pictures to turn into photos.

Thanks for the tip on using "cp" I just never gave that a thought.

Also my son used his computer to search for a remedy to clean the worm out. He found this "malwarebytes anti malware". It took him some time trying to get through all that the security tool malware to even get started

Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) I guess cp means PC? Or Personal Computer?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 3, 2009 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: malware

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!