Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Desktop spyware infection

by cosmokramer / January 24, 2006 10:09 AM PST

I have what appears to be a desktop spyware infection, it changed my desktop to a blue screen that says "Spyware Infection, etc"...and in the right hand corner there is a red circle with an x through it that says "Windows has detected spyware infection, etc, etc". I ran Ad-Aware, which seemed to do nothing, and I have a firewall...any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop spyware infection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop spyware infection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Desktop spyware infection
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 24, 2006 10:24 AM PST

I would start with :

Please download ewido anti-malware from [url=http://www.ewido.net/en/download/ here it is a free version of the program.

1. Install ewido security suite
2. When installing, under ''Additional Options'' uncheck..
* Install background guard
* Install scan via context menu
3. Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop, double-click it.
4. The program will now open to the main screen.
5. When you run ewido for the first time, you will get a warning ''Database could not be found!''. Click OK. We will fix this in a moment.
6. You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
* On the left hand side of the main screen click update.
* Then click on Start Update.
7. The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
(the status bar at the bottom will display (''Update successful'')

If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido.
[url=http://www.ewido.net/en/download/updates/ ewido manual updates

Once the updates are installed do the following:

* Click on scanner
* Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
* You will be prompted to clean the first infection.
* Select ''Perform action on all infections'', then proceed.
* Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
* Click Save report.
* Save the report .txt file to your desktop or a location where you can find it easily.

Close ewido anti-malware.

Collapse -
It removed popups but desktop still the same...
by cosmokramer / January 24, 2006 11:11 PM PST

Hi again,
I ran the Ewido like you said, and it removed the little red circle with the "x" in it that kept putting popups saying Windows detected an infection. However, my desktop is still blue with the "Spyware Infection, etc" on it. I ran Webroot Spysweeper free scan, and it said that it picked up several cookies (screensavers.com, 2o7.net, about, and starware cookie, and also the Spysheriff Fakealert Adware). Other than purchasing Spysweeper, do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Collapse -
Spysheriff
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 25, 2006 12:15 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!