Computer Help forum

General discussion

Desktop shuts down midway through start-up process

Hi!

Last night my desktop crashed randomly, like there'd been a power failure. I tried to turn it back on several times, each time it would get partially through the booting process before powering down. Once, it made it to a 'system repair' or 'startup repair' process (can't quite remember which), however it commonly makes it to the 'your computer shut down unexpectedly screen' or the Windows icon screen.

I'm running Windows 7, with a nVidia 480 GTX, 4GB of RAM, an i5-2500K. I've had a look on Google for similar situations, and while it seems pretty common, there's not a large deal of information on how to actually go about working out what is wrong.

Thanks guys.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop shuts down midway through start-up process
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop shuts down midway through start-up process
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I had this happen to me

In reply to: Desktop shuts down midway through start-up process

and it was caused by a fan failure. Once I replaced the fan, it started normally with no additional problems.

Collapse -
Tried several things

Tried switching sockets on the power point- no luck. Also made sure it wasn't an overheating issue- the fans are working. It's pretty dusty on the inside though, will give it a clean and report back. Is there anything else I can try while I'm at it?

Collapse -
Check *all* fans

In reply to: Tried several things

Al fans means the PSU one too. As you already found out, clean out the dust bunnies and use a can of air to do so. brush-off any other build-up, before you even try to power-ON again. Since, you already experienced repeated shutdowns, it may have now some s/w corruption provided it doesn't shutdown again. This will be a 2ndary problem to correct if that occurs. Don't rush this, clean and verify, etc., then try power again. If the problem persists, you have a bad PSU as well, the real crux of your problems, buy similar or better, NOT cheaper.

tada ----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Had similar happen very recently

The PC began acting strangely...not responding messages, etc. Eventually I had to do a hard shutdown as it wouldn't do a restart in the normal way. I was faced with the usual "Windows didn't shutdown properly" message. I tried safe mode and it just rebooted and went to the startup repair screen. That would fail to complete. I tried using the original Win7 DVD to do a repair installation and it would freeze. I tested RAM using memtest86 and it passed. I decided to make an image of the drive and Acronis gave an error about some unreadable sector. I had it ignore the error and complete the image. This was a WD drive so I did the WD diagnostics on the drive using another machine. Low and behold, my suspicions were correct. The drive had passed the SMART test but failed the media test. I had the utility do a repair which succeeded. All this means is that bad sectors are remapped to spares. I'd had WD diagnostics write 0s to all locations so my installation was gone. I was able to restore a previous image I'd made to a spare hard drive, pull the most current data from the last Acronis image and be on my way until I can buy a new HD.

I'd try to do a test on your old drive using the manufacturer's utility if you can. Don't mess with the drive until you do this. If it turns out the drive has failed, you may be as lucky as I was. The lesson is backup, backup and backup. Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.