Desktops forum

General discussion

Desktop Running Problem

by 725338stud / February 6, 2010 3:30 AM PST

I have PC with configuration of Pantium D processor and 512 MB RAM.It was working fine until i replace 512 RAM with 1 GB RAM. Now mkv video or any high quality video is not playing continuously and CPU used is more than 90%. Even if i switched back to 512 MB RAM , Problem is there. Could anybody suggest anything please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop Running Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop Running Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't think this is related to the RAM.
by Kees Bakker / February 6, 2010 3:35 AM PST

Go into taskmanager and tell us the top-5-processes after sorting on CPU usage. Also tell about your graphic card.

Kees

Collapse -
Desktop Running Problems
by 725338stud / February 6, 2010 4:29 PM PST

System Idle Process
explorer.exe
firefox.exe
utorrent.exe
system

Graphics Memory is 96 MB.

Collapse -
That's the answer to Bob's question ...
by Kees Bakker / February 6, 2010 7:34 PM PST

about torrents. And it's a pity you didn't tell the percentage of each process. Normally, system idle (the system doing nothing) should be above 80% if all you do is looking video, I think. The video program shouldn't need more than 20%. But I don't see any video viewing program in the list.

Remarkable: with system idle on top of the list it's nearly impossible that the CPU is being used for more than 90% by other processes. That leaves less than 10% for system idle, and it's hardly imaginable it's on the top of the list than.
Maybe tell more?

What I should do:
- switch the hard disk you're reading the video-file from from DMA to PIO mode, reboot, switch it back again to DMA-mode and reboot again. That's done in Device Manager.

If that doesn't help:
- clean install of the OS
- try again to view a video you already have on your harddisk (copy it to USB-stick first, because the clean install will format the hard disk); disconnect from Internet until then
- stay away from torrents in the future

Kees

Collapse -
The clue is the mkv
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 3:36 AM PST

That makes me wonder if there is TORRENT software or other VIDEO PLAYERS that came from a TORRENT on this machine. I'm losing count how often a machine gets slammed when the owners begin to use torrents.
Bob

Collapse -
If you suspect that you might...
by Brechan / February 6, 2010 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: The clue is the mkv
Collapse -
Look up and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 11:53 PM PST

Sure enough they are running a torrent at the time of the troubles.

I'm unsure why you are replying to me about this.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry Bob clicked on the wrong 'reply' box
by Brechan / February 7, 2010 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Look up and
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?