Computer Help forum

General discussion

Desktop RAM discrepancy

Hey guys and gals

The sticker on the front of my computer says 1024mb DDR2 Ram, but system page says only 896mb. Where's the other 128mb. I've searched other people's threads on this issue in the past, and never found a solid answer. Is this like hard drives and mp3 players where the stated capacity is always a little more than what's actually available?

Also my motherboard has 4 ram slots, 2 are used I want to get two more. Are all ddr2 chips the interchangable? I see there's different mhtz available, how do I know which ones to get?

Thanks in advance....Kew

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop RAM discrepancy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop RAM discrepancy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You have 1024MB RAM ... suspect what's mssing is

In reply to: Desktop RAM discrepancy

the RAM dedicated to your integrated video. That's pretty common for system with built or integrated video.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Video RAM

This will be because the built-in video hardware will steal some system RAM to use for video RAM. It's quite a common practice.

Collapse -
Re: RAM

Goto www.kingston.com or www.crucial.com, in their memory advisor type in what they ask and they will tell you what kind of RAM you need.

Kees

Collapse -
another good source of RAM

In reply to: Re: RAM

Two excellent sites for anyone interested in finding out about possible addition RAM are:

Belarc Advisor - It runs an internal audit on your entire system (you can save the file) listing your compter profile. Info includes OS, System build serial #, Motherboard, Processor, drives, memeory modules (what is in each slot, and how many are used), hardware, software with version# and "KEYS". Plus lists all installed HOT FIXES.
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Memory4All - you can either do it manually, or have their auditor scan your computer. It will tell you the maximum amount of RAM for your system, and the number of slots. (Use Belarc to known how many are vacant if you have not looed inside). It lists RAM modules and states their prices. (Fully guaranteed compatibility)

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm

Collapse -
Why only 1 gb upgrade?

In reply to: another good source of RAM

Thanks for the responses.

Correction: Looking inside my my desktop, I only have 2 ram slots 1 used, 1 free.

I went to crucial.com and took their scan. It said my system can max out at 2 gig by adding a second 1 gb ram board. Reading all the other info, they said a 32 bit system can handle 3 gig of ram, so why can't I get the 2 gb board they have. That would be the 1 gb I already have and the second 2 gb chip would add up to 3 gb. They also said my computer doesn't require matching chips. so why would the scan limit me to 2 gb?

Collapse -
The choice of memory sticks is determined by

In reply to: Why only 1 gb upgrade?

The machine's design, chipset and more. Crucial and others are pretty good at offering what will work and if you go over what they suggest, most of the time you find the machine does not report the full memory installed.

Since you omitted the machine details there is not much more to tell.
Bob

Collapse -
Depends on the machine but since you didn't give us

In reply to: Why only 1 gb upgrade?

any detail make/mfg, series and model #, not much help we can give.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Specs

In reply to: Depends on the machine but since you didn't give us

E-Machines
t5212
Pentium D
Dual 2.66ghz
533 Mhz FSB
2x1 mb L2 cache
Grant County Intel Motherboard

ATI Radon Xpress 200 video with available PCI-Express slot (should this video card be stealing RAM?)

Thanks to anyone with advice.

Collapse -
You're stuck at 2GB RAM

In reply to: Specs

Here's your product specs from the eMachine website....

T5212 Support Information
Specifications
CPU : Intel? Pentium? D Processor 805 (dual-core)
(2 x 1MB L2 cache, 2.66GHz, 533MHz FSB)
Operating System : Genuine Microsoft? Windows? XP Media Center Edition 2005
Chipset : ATI Radeon? Xpress 200
Memory : 1024MB DDR2 (2 ? 512MB), 533MHz (PC4200)
Expandable to 2GB
Hard Drive : 200GB (7200rpm, 2MB cache)
Optical Drives : 16x multiformat dual-layer DVD?RW
(Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media)
Write max: 16x DVD?R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM
Media Reader : 9-in-1 Digital Media Manager? (Memory Stick?, Memory Stick Pro?, MultiMediaCard?, Secure Digital?, CompactFlash?, MicroDrive, SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card?, USB 2.0)
Video : ATI Radeon? Xpress 200 integrated graphics solution
Up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI-Express? (PCI-E x16) slot available
Sound : 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
Network : 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Modem : 56K ITU V.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)
Peripherals : Premium multimedia keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers (USB powered)
Ports/Other : 5 USB 2.0 (1 in front, 4 in back), VGA external connector, parallel port, serial port, 2 PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse), 5 audio ports (2 in front, 3 in back)
Dimensions : 14.25"H x 7.25"W x 16"D
Weight : 22.5 lbs

Collapse -
That's your clue.

In reply to: You're stuck at 2GB RAM

"Chipset : ATI Radeon? Xpress 200"

I remember that chipset and it was limited in this area due to bios and board connections. This is not to offer the full explanation but that's it.
Bob

Collapse -
Systems with built-in or integrated video (chips)

In reply to: Specs

on the motherboard usually have no RAM for video. For the integrated video to work, the system BIOS is used to set aside some SYSTEM RAM ...in your case 128MBs for use as VIDEO RAM. If you installed a discrete video card... you could eliminate the 128MB SYSTEM RAM allocation for use as video RAM and you'd have use of the entire 1024MB (or perhaps 2048MBs) for system use.

That's why it's important to get sufficient RAM to run the system properly especially where the systems have built-in or integrated video and cut into the available RAM to function. As it stands right now, 12.5% of your SYSTEM RAM (1024MB) is being allocated and used as video RAM.

Let us know how the upgrade turns out.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.