Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

desktop problem

Hi,

I created a quick launch desktop icon .

when i click on the desktop icon,

it does not lead me to the desktop but the desktop folder.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: desktop problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: desktop problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You don't need to enter this issue twice

In reply to: desktop problem

One time should get you a result. Entering the same problem a 2nd time will not get more or faster results.

But, to answer your question, ...
Why do you need a Desktop icon on your desktop? You are already there!

If you want a quick way of seeing the desktop when other windows are clutering the view, you can just use the built-in Windows key Flag+D (that is hold down the Windows key, it has a Flag on it, and press the D key). That action will minimize all the windows and you can then see the desktop. That action is also a toggle, so doing it a 2nd time will open all the minimized windows back.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: You don't need to enter this issue twice

I entered it twice because the first time someone reply but got my message wrong.

I mean that instead of using the shortcut key.The probleim i face is i created a quick launch desktop icon but does nt lead me to the desktop but show the desktop folder.

Is there anyway i can solve this?

Thanks for you help.

Collapse -
You mean that ...

In reply to: Thanks

you created the shortcut as adviced in a reply to your very post about this subject:

Go to quick launch folder, usually c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch, create a file named "Show Desktop.scf", copy and paste the below content, finally save it. You get the icon then.

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

and that doesn't fully work, because it doesn't show the desktop in the usual way but in some other mode (like thumbnails or details) in Windows Explorer.

The first thing to note is that you have to replace 'Administrator' by your own user name in the instruction. Did you?

In fact, you don't tell at all what you did. You only say you 'created' the icon. So maybe all I should do is to tell you that you did something wrong when creating it. That's a likely cause.

Something worth to try: make a new Windows account, and see how that behaves. If that's OK, something is wrong in your current account. If that's wrong also, the problem might be deeper. So please do and tell.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.