Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Question

Desktop not recognizing WiFi networks; other issues (RAM?)

by jorlyfish / May 23, 2015 2:06 AM PDT

(Windows 7; 2x 16GB RAM sticks. Custom-built machine about 2yo, can look up other specs if needed)

My computer will not recognize any WiFi networks as available, even though all my other devices pick up mine (as well as several neighbors').

It also is having some stuttering issues -- audio is acting weird as well as the cursor movements. I've had RAM go bad before with this machine. I tried taking out each stick and running the computer with one and then the other - issues still remained with each stick.

I have tried resetting modem and running the Windows troubleshooting wizard for the connection issues.
All these issues started simultaneously about a week ago while I was playing a game and listening to music. I've run CCleaner and MalwareBytes. MalwareBytes picked up a few items it thought was questionable, which I quarantined, but none of these issues were resolved.

What should my next steps be?

Thank you!

Discussion is locked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you try another WiFi stick or card?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2015 2:14 AM PDT

I carry them on calls like that.

As to stutter there are dozens of reasons from infections, iffy HDD to other infections we haven't discovered yet.

My first move? Try some USB WIFi stick.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
try system restore
by renegade600 / May 23, 2015 5:51 AM PDT

you can try doing a system restore to a restore point just prior to the problem. also try going into safemode with network and see if it sees your wifi. maybe some third party utility is blocking it.

Collapse -
Answer
Wifi etc.
by pgc3 / May 25, 2015 12:54 AM PDT

First suspect, wireless card/device being used. And does it function OK hooked to your set up hardwire?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!