Short of replacing the motherboard which can be the most cost, I can bet it's a Socket 775 CPU so let's find that less taxing CPU. http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=961 Finds some 2 GHz models for about 50.
I've seen this issue and also seen people take it to shops to spend more money on repairs than what a new machine costs.
I have been facing the following problem with my Desktop
1. Desktop gets switched off without any warnings. On starting after a abrupt shut down it I get a beep sound thrice and then a black screen with the following Message
?Your Desktop was shut down previously due to a thermal event(CPU Overheating) Press enter to restart?.
2. I switch on the comp but monitor signal comes up only after 2 or 3 minutes
3. The Comp gets hanged very frequently despite cleaning the comp of all spywares.
My desktop has the following configuration
3 GHz Intel Processor
Intel 915 GV Motherboard
80 Gb Sata Harddisk.
I have got the Desktop serviced from the best possible Comp solutions experts.
What they had to say was this
1. Intel 3Ghz processor and 915 commonly face this issue..Replace the Processor and use a 2.4 or 1.8 GHz processor.
2. A heat sensor on your mother board is not working properly get the Sensor replaced
3. This is an issue with the Capacitors on the mother board. Change the capacitors
4. You might have not used a heat sink. Make sure the paste between processor and heat sink is not dry..
5. Your Fan is not working .
I have tried almost everything I have replaced the paste between processor and processor and checked my fan both are working fine..Could you suggest a solution??