Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Desktop issues

by ineedhelp92688 / February 9, 2009 8:04 AM PST

I have a problem with my desktop. Upon startup, the computer loads everything, including the desktop and the task bar, but it won't let me click any of the icons on my desktop or drag and select. In order to return my desktop to a usable state, I have to end process "explorer.exe" and then start it again.
The computer is running xp and is a dell dimension 5150.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Running System File Checker...
by tobeach / February 9, 2009 3:33 PM PST
In reply to: Desktop issues

To correct damaged system files , try running System File Checker.
If XP, based on an on board back-up copy of XP(read only) used to correct files. If copy is corrupted, it may tell you to insert XP or SP2/3(if patch applied) disk or to indicate location of SP2/3 info to get new,
clean copy inserted. Good to have disk at hand. To Run SFC:

Left click on My Computer(open)
Right click on "C" or your OS drive if another letter.
Left click Properties and then click Tools Tab.
Left click on "Error Checking"> Check Now.
Left click to enter check mark in "Auto Fix System File Errors"
Left click on "Start".
Computer will have to reboot to begin repairs. Restart computer.
Just leave alone (you're locked out anyway) 'til process finished.

Hopefully this will force it to recognise you primary desktop.
Can't do any harm. Good Luck!! Happy

Collapse -
Another Thought....
by tobeach / February 12, 2009 2:18 PM PST

Do You by chance have 2 desktops for yourself & explorer is finding an old disabled one? Not likely but possible? Check by navigating:
C:>documents & settings>your name> desktop folder(s). If more than 1, likely marked desktop & desktop 2 then right click & "explore"the desktop 2 folder. If everything you expect to be on your desktop is there, the either 1) delete desktop (1)to recycle bin and leave there temporarily or rename it to desktop old. Re-boot and see if problem is gone. IF NOT, try reverse sending desktop 2 to recycle bin AFTER first restoring desktop 1 from re-cycle bin by right clicking and choosing restore by removing "old" from the name. Any luck? Happy

Collapse -
tried the hd check......
by ineedhelp92688 / February 13, 2009 2:52 AM PST

I tried the hard drive check as you suggested. However, the computer now lets me select the desktop but not the taskbar. I checked for multiple desktops also, but found no problems there.

Collapse -
Here's A Couple Of Links ....
by tobeach / February 13, 2009 4:12 PM PST

to Kelly's Korner's main trouble shooting page & specific toolbar / desktop repair script. These are well known & safe as far as spyware etc.
Kelly's toolbar fix: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

"NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.".
Kelly's Main Repair XP & Trouble shoot page:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

What you need should be there! Enjoy & let us know how it works or not! Happy

Collapse -
Fixed!!!!!
by ineedhelp92688 / February 14, 2009 1:10 AM PST

It turns out that firefox 3.0 kept starting up a process that, not matter how hard I tried, I could not end. It just kept starting up again, slowing down my entire computer. I just uninstalled 3.0 and installed 2.0 which fixed the problem. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Sorry So Off Base But Glad
by tobeach / February 14, 2009 2:07 PM PST
In reply to: Fixed!!!!!

you got it fixed!! Good Work but Note (particularly 2nd note**):

"30 October 2008

In six weeks, support for Firefox 2 will end. Anyone still using Firefox 2 should soon think about upgrading to Firefox 3. Normally, an existing version reaches its end of life (EOL) six months after the introduction of its successor which would mean, for Firefox 2, mid-December. After that point there would be no more security updates to fix vulnerabilities. Mike Betzner of Mozilla says two-thirds of Firefox's users have already upgraded to Firefox 3.

More: http://www.heise-online.co.uk/security/Firefox-2-End-of-supported-life-approaches--/news/111829

2ND Reminder: Check which version of Sun Java you must have for FF 3
before installing it. FF2 could use Java 5 or Java 6.** FF 3 needs Java 6(?).
The correct Java must exist on machine BEFORE installing FF 3. "

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?