Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Desktop is screwed up.

For some reason all my old icons on my desktop have these white boxes around them. When i installed a new program today the icon for that program did not get a little white box, but when i make a new folder the folder gets the white box. I've tried changing color scemes, resolutions, restoring the system, windows updates. please help me

Thanks.

By the Way...im not talking about the little arrow. These white boxes are surround the entire icon. Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop is screwed up.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop is screwed up.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Desktop is screwed up.

In reply to: Desktop is screwed up.

Right click the desktop,select Properties. Click Desktop Tab, click Customize Desktop button. Click Web Tab. Uncheck(clear) the option Lock desktop items. Also, check if there is any item selected under Web Pages. If there is, clear it.

BTW, don't open a new thread for the same holy problem. Just post another reply in the original thread. This Forum software will bump it on top.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Desktop is screwed up.

That didn't help. Im still seeing huge white boxes

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Desktop is screwed up.

Let's try the following steps (one by one) and check if icons problem is solved after each step.

1. Right click the desktop, select Properties, click Appearance Tab. From the drop-down list, choose Icon. Change the Size box number by adding one, click Apply.

2. Download TweakUI from the following page. Install it and subsequntly launch TweakUI. Click Repair and in the right pane select Rebuild Icons, Click Repair Now button.

3. Click Start, Run type cmd and press Enter. From the command prompt, type the following lines (or copy and paste from my message) and press Enter after each.

cd "%userprofile%\local settings\application data"

attrib -h iconcache.db

del iconcache.db

Logoff and Logon the account.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

The icons the desktop uses all have a background colour. Try getting into the icon and making it transparent, that should work. The trouble is that you need a fairly good icon programme like iconmaker. I don't know if it's still available, but you could try ZDNet downloads. This will let you open the icon and make the background transparent, that way your desktop colours will come through and get rid of those white squares.

Collapse -

You can go to microsoft.com and download windows tweaks. Use the rebuild icons command.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.