Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Desktop icons won't stay put - Shell key broken?

Hello,
I recently had a virus and eventually got it removed, but now my desktop icons won't stay put.

Every time my desktop refreshes or after every reboot, all of my desktop icons move back to the left
side of the screen. The "Auto Arrange" option is not checked. That is the option I want, but the setting doesn't get saved.
I also tried restoring my computer to an earlier point, but that failed too.

I have read the following article:
"Changes to the size, view, icon or position of a folder are lost"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813711

And deleted and re-created these two keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

However, it's still not working. I have noticed that the "ShellNoRoam" key has been filled in since I re-created it, but the "Shell" key hasn't been touched. This is the key that supposedly contains the desktop settings I'm trying to save.

My question is, how do I fix my "Shell" key, if it's broken? It's not getting filled in my Windows.
I have the proper key, "BagMRU Size" set to 5000.

Filling the "Shell" key in myself with this line doesn't work:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop]
"FFlags"=dword:00000224

I've been working on this for a couple days now, so I've rebooted my computer dozens of times.
Re-installing the OS is not a solution. I'm running Windows XP SP3, 32-bit.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop icons won't stay put - Shell key broken?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop icons won't stay put - Shell key broken?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've never found it to stick (natively)

In reply to: Desktop icons won't stay put - Shell key broken?

I use Fences (google Fences last free version) and it will keep the order on the desktop at least.

As the order in explorer was deprecated (yes it was) you can't count on that working any more. I bring this up in case you haven't heard about it.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Fences

In reply to: I've never found it to stick (natively)

Thanks for the reply.

Assuming I can't fix my problem, I did search for some 3rd party programs to save and restore my desktop icons.

I found some simple ones, like Desktop Icon Restore:
http://www.midiox.com/html/desktop.htm

But, as soon as the desktop refreshes, everything gets pushed back to the left side.

I did look at Fences, but it may be a bit too much for me. I would really prefer my desktop icons work as before, as simple as possible.

The virus infected a desktop.ini file on my computer. I don't know if this was the root cause of my problem,
but I deleted all desktop.ini files after I cleaned my system. Windows should re-create them.

Collapse -
Nod to Fences.

In reply to: Re: Fences

The folk at the office liked it so much that I rarely see a desktop without it at the office.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Desktop Icons

In reply to: Nod to Fences.

So, before I give up, has anyone experienced this before?

Desktop icon arrangement not getting saved anymore due to a virus or some other corruption?

What Windows DLLs or programs control the Shell key?

Collapse -
I had it from other than virus corruption.

In reply to: Re: Desktop Icons

To replicate it is easy. Arrange the icons. Boot Safe Mode, reboot and it's all messed up. Same thing if I change the desktop resolution.

In my opinion this is broken since the year 2000.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Safe Mode

In reply to: I had it from other than virus corruption.

I have noticed that too when cleaning my system. My desktop icons are always arranged on the left side in Safe Mode.
But it has always been like that, so I never gave it a second thought. But now, my main desktop is broken too.

BTW, I'm using a tool called Registry Monitor by Sysinternals to see what keys are being read/written when I refresh my desktop.

I don't see the "Shell" key being accessed anywhere.

Should this key exist?
explorer.exe:232 OpenKey HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.lnk NOTFOUND

Collapse -
I'll check that tomorrow.

In reply to: Re: Safe Mode

At the office I have a few last XP machines.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!