Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

desktop icons, Start Menu icons damaged (1X1pixel)

by glennn.php / October 22, 2007 4:20 AM PDT

i was attempting to replace the My Comp. icon using WinXP Manager (normally a pretty good app.) - got an error and all my desktop icons became 1X1 pixel, as well as those in my Start Menu, the Open/Save Dialog, and others (.ini, .dat, etc in my SYS folders don't appear).

I replaced explorer.exe and shell32.dll from my XP disk to no avail.

any ideas, anyone?

Very Appreciative,
GN

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: desktop icons, Start Menu icons damaged (1X1pixel)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: desktop icons, Start Menu icons damaged (1X1pixel)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
an expansion of previous post - PLEASE help?
by glennn.php / October 22, 2007 5:20 AM PDT

s'pose i could expound...

only the icons, not the text below or to the right, are affected. my icons are 1 px dots on my desktop now, as well as in the Places Dialog box, and .log, .ini, .dat, .cpl have all just disappeared for each file.

The Right half of my Start Menu is BLACK with no links hidden within. The icons on the Left side are affected to 1 px deimensions UNLESS i choose "Small" icons, in which case the icons on the left appear. The right side remains BLACK and empty.

can someone please give me an idea what common problem there might be here...?

Collapse -
Desktop Icons
by Bob G / October 22, 2007 6:43 AM PDT

Have you tried System Restore. It should restore your icons.
Bob G

Collapse -
Re: desktop icons, Start Menu icons damaged (1X1pixel)
by Tufenuf / October 22, 2007 7:13 AM PDT

GN, Start your computer in SAFE mode then restart it in Normal mode. This will rebuild the iconcache.db file.

You could also download Tweak UI at the link below. After you install it you'll find it in Satrt>Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI. Open it and under Repair then choose Rebuild Icons.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Also try the following:

Go to Start/Run and type in:

regsvr32 /i shell32

Click OK

Note that the spacing is important.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
tweak ui
by rejisama / June 27, 2011 7:54 PM PDT

thanks for your tip, i.e. downloading Tweak U. i found it helpful in repairing my damaged icons.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.