Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Desktop Icons scramble....

by G.T. / September 30, 2005 3:30 PM PDT

Have been using XP on my PC for over 2 years and no problem with icons moving on desktop. Purchased a new laptop with XP Home Edition recently and everytime I turn on the laptop it has rearranged my Icons. I want them to remain in the same location so I can locate them easily. Have tried all the options shown in "properties" and still the computer does its own things on startup. Any and all help appreciated. Yes, I tried using the same settings I have on my PC and still it scrambles the Icons on start up. My PC does have XP Pro, but that should not make a difference on this problem. Or could it?
Thanks, Gil

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop Icons scramble....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop Icons scramble....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, I tried using the same settings I have on my PC
by glb613 / September 30, 2005 7:45 PM PDT

What settings?

Collapse -
Re: Desktop Icons scramble....
by Tufenuf / September 30, 2005 10:07 PM PDT

Gil, You could go to the link below and download "Icon Restore" which is Free. After installing Icon Restore, simply place your icons wherever you want them on your desktop, right click your Recycle Bin icon and left click on "Save Desktop Icon Layout" from the pop up menu.
If your icons ever get moved because your computer entered safe mode or you changed the screen resolution, right click your Recycle Bin icon and left click on "Restore Desktop Icon Layout" from the pop up menu.

http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Desk top scramble
by jfwre / August 29, 2010 4:21 PM PDT

XP operating system. MS Office plus many other programmes. How can I lock the icons where I want them?

Collapse -
(NT) Right click Desktop, View option, remove Auto Arrange.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 29, 2010 9:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Desk top scramble

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!