Computer Help forum

General discussion

Desktop Icons Quit Working

by RB2D2 / June 30, 2004 2:06 AM PDT

Operating W2K, 2500 processor, 1024 MB RAM. Before the trouble started I ran Spybot S&D and it found the same items it finds everyday, most having to do with cookies. I keep cookies cleaned out. I opened Explorer, found no cookies, did Disk Cleanup on all partitions.

First thing I noticed going wrong was when I attempted to launch a program from one of my three tool bars at the bottom of the screen and the icon didn't work. Desktop icons wouldn't launch any program either. I rebooted hoping that would solve the problem. It didn't and in addition my three tool bars were gone. And a couple of items from the System Tray.

My Computer icon is there but labeled Folder. So is My Network Connection. Double clicking My Computer opens it and the usual is there except (what is) Control Panel has a weird icon and is labeled Folder. I right click and then Open to get the list of items in Control Panels. Most work, the two I know that don't work are Add and Remove Programs and Administrative Tools.

Learned that right clicking icons on desktop and choosing Open will launch the program. Same in Programs from the Start button. Also anything I put in the Quick Launch bar. Folders on Desktop open with one click.

Device Manager shows no yellow or dups. Some of the menus don't look right, for instance some have Explore listed twice, Open listed twice, Open by FinePixView listed twice, etc.

On reboot half way through the Windows music it 'breaks' and just dribbles away, a little like static.

I typed sfc /scannow in Run and rebooted. I got a window named "Window File Protection" that said: Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows 2000 Professional CD now. I did that and while it whirled away Windows verified that all protected Windows files were intact and in the original version. Didn't help.

I deleted ShellIconCache in WINNT, rebooted, didn't help.

What else can I try or does anyone know the answer? I'm sorry this is so long but wanted to give as much info as I could remember.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop Icons Quit Working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop Icons Quit Working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Desktop Icons Quit Working
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 2:11 AM PDT

I wasn't able to dive into this issue when I created it on another box, but rather deleted the malfunctioning icon and made a new one.

There are similar issues like this if one ran a REPAIR install of Windows 2000, but that was not mentioned.

NEW PESTS are making IE much too dangerous for me to use except for Windows Update. Your choice to continue using this timebomb.

Let's start with IEFIX and see if it helps from http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm

Bob

Collapse -
Ok, Bob, just to be sure we understand each other ...
by RB2D2 / June 30, 2004 2:43 AM PDT

My browser of choice is Netscape and/or Mozilla with Opera running a close second. Like you, the only time I use IE is for updates. So your advice threw me for a loop especially since my problem seemed to be with icons on the desk top and not the internet. Remembering that earlier I did open IE for about five minutes last night to test a certain site, I now opened IE and LeechGet launches?!?! When I shut down LeechGet, IE also closes down. What the heck is going on? What's happened?

I did go read at the site your suggested and will download the repair tool. But I'm curious as to what the problem is. Will that also repair Conrol Panel?

Collapse -
Re: Ok, Bob, just to be sure we understand each other ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 3:54 AM PDT

Since you have LeechGet, I can't tell if it's an issue or not. Remember I stick plain, boring, unexciting and almost plain ASCII when I can to stay out of trouble. That's part of why I avoid IE to stay out of line of fire between malware writers and Microsoft.

Most on topic. IEFIX automates most of the common and safe repairs we need to do on IE and the OS. It's documented at the site and I've found it to head off long dreary trips into the swamp that can be an OS repair,

As to control panel, write a bit more, but afer IEFIX is done and a reboot.

Can you eject LeechGet?

Is the machine free from any parasites? They tend to expose themselves when copy/paste, and icons don't launch.

Bob

Collapse -
Icons and Control Panel
by RB2D2 / June 30, 2004 5:27 AM PDT

I have to leave in a bit but this is what I've done: I could not get IEFIX to work properly, it would not accept/read the CD, I kept trying even typied in what they suggested, (changing partition letter) and finally a small window popped up saying IEFIX was successful but I don't think it was. Too fast and the site says it might take a long time. At any rate the Window file varifier started up again and did it's thing. Rebooted, didn't help. Reinstalled IE, didn't help. Couldn't uninstall IE or LeechGet, Add and Remove Programs doesn't work.

As to Control Panel this site explains it best. That is exactely what is happening to me.

http://www.dbforums.com/t953592.html

ran: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt in the Run and it looked IE over also and attempted to fix it. Rebooted, didn't help. Didn't attempt the other 'fix' they talked about, not sure what the results would be.

Spybot keeps finding the same stuff over and over and it keeps fixing the problem. Alexa Related, HitBox, DSO EXploit which if I understand seems to be a bug in Spybot. Ad-aware found one item. SpywareBlaster has everything covered. Ran CWShreader it said I was clean. I am now running The Cleaner on all partitions.

Collapse -
Re: Icons and Control Panel
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 6:28 AM PDT

That's about as complete a discussion as I've seen on the control panel issue. Have you completed all the suggestions?

The "really big clue" to me is that IEFix didn't go smoothly for you. I know it does here. The only nuance here was I had to have the 2000 CD handy, the install drive had to be there and I ran the SP4 update again. But having run NT 4.0 for too many years, that all seemed to be "the usual."

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!