General discussion

Desktop icons missing???

Hi all, a friend has a Compac laptop, running Vista Home edition and she has lost all the desktop icons. We tried taking it back a month, then two, but still no joy. She only lost them last week after she downloaded the Windows updates. Anyone got an answer to this one please.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Desktop icons missing???
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Desktop icons missing???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tried This?
- Collapse -
Missing icons

Thanks guys for the info and advice, I will not be able to do anything until next week when I next see my friend, but I will try what you have said and will let you know how I get it on.

- Collapse -
Re: Desktop icons missing???

quests1, To show or hide icons on your desktop in Windows Vista, right-click in an empty area of the desktop and choose "View" - the sub-menu that appears contains a "Show Desktop Icons" menu item.

If a checkmark appears next to "Show Desktop Icons", but no icons are displayed on your desktop, it means that there are no files or folders on the desktop, and that Vista has been configured to show none of the standard desktop icons (Network, Control Panel, Recycle Bin, Internet Explorer...) Our next tutorial will show you how to show or hide common icons on the desktop.

Display or hide your desktop icons
http://freewindowsvistatutorials.com/customizeWindowsVista/customizingVistasDesktop/showOrHideDesktopIcons.htm

Show or hide system icons on the desktop
http://freewindowsvistatutorials.com/customizeWindowsVista/customizingVistasDesktop/commonDesktopIconsSettings.htm

Tufenuf

CNET Forums

Forum Info