Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Desktop icons keep getting rearranged

by woggie / April 23, 2004 6:04 AM PDT

Greetings all -

I find myself getting very frustrated with having to continually place the icons on my desktop the way I want them. Every time I restart, some have migrated to other positions, in no particular or predictable pattern. Anybody know why this happens and how it can be avoided (without resorting to 3rd party utilities)?

System is WinXPPro on P4/2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, 2x80GB, 1x20GB, 1x30GB, ATI Radeon 8500. Any other info needed for an answer?

Cheers, woggie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop icons keep getting rearranged
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop icons keep getting rearranged
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Desktop icons keep getting rearranged
by glenn30 / April 23, 2004 6:24 AM PDT

Woogie, try this... right click on the desktop and select "Arrange Icons by" then select "Align to Grid". This works for me.

Best of luck!

Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
Re:Re:Desktop icons keep getting rearranged
by woggie / April 24, 2004 5:16 PM PDT

Thanx, Glenn, but that is already set.

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / April 23, 2004 10:03 AM PDT

woggie, If Glenn's suggestion doesn't correct the problem follow the instructions below.

Download the zip file (layout.zip)at this link. http://www.#error#.com/windows/tt/files/layout.zip

After you have downloaded the file, extract its contents into a folder. Open the folder and double click LAYOUT.REG to merge the information into your registry. Now copy the library LAYOUT.DLL to your Windows\System32 directory. To save your current desktop icon layout, right click on the Recycle Bin or the My Computer icon on your desktop and select Save Desktop Icon Layout. To restore your previous desktop icon layout, right click the Recycle Bin or the My Computer icon on your desktop and select Restore Desktop Icon Layout.

The above solution works great especially if you ever go into SAFE mode and your icons get scrambled up all over your desktop.

HTH,
Tufenuf

Collapse -
by woggie / April 24, 2004 5:24 PM PDT

Boy, does that link make me nervous! You may be trying to help but I would be pretty stupid to follow your directions without knowing what I'm doing. Tell me how to create that file and how it works. I'll script it or program it or whatever if I know what each step it takes does, but I'm not clicking on it.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Desktop icons keep getting rearranged
by Tufenuf / April 24, 2004 10:23 PM PDT

woggie, If that link makes you nervous the link below also has layout.zip available to download. Just scroll down to "Layout" and pcnineoneone IS a reputable site. As far as the instructions in my first reply are concerned they originally were on the pcnineoneone link and pcmag's link.

Here's what the reg file looks like.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{19F500E0-9964-11cf-B63D-08002B317C03}]
@="Desktop Icon Layout"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{19F500E0-9964-11cf-B63D-08002B317C03}\InProcServer32]
@="Layout.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\IconLayout]
@="{19F500E0-9964-11cf-B63D-08002B317C03}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved]
"{19F500E0-9964-11cf-B63D-08002B317C03}"="Desktop Icon Layout"

The Layout.dll was produced by Mark Carroll, Microsoft Ltd. and is version 1.0.0.1 of Desktop Icon Layout Extension DLL. Saves and restores the desktop icon layout.

http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/programs/P_DESKTOP.php

For your info I just downloaded the file from the link above, scanned it for viruses and it's clean. I exracted it and the info above is accurate. I would never send anyone to download a program that wasn't safe. Many people have used layout.zip and are pleased with it.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Desktop icons keep getting rearranged
by woggie / April 26, 2004 5:00 PM PDT

Thanx very much for this, tufenuf. I just joined this board and now that I've cruised it a bit I note that you appear to be a respected member. I hope you'll pardon my paranoia, but when I first read your reply, I didn't know you from Adam, and in the computer arena, a lot of paranoia is a very good idea. Thanks for not taking offense! Happy

I did download the file and followed the instructions and I have one question. Considering that I tried the right-click and did not find the save and load options on the context menu immediately after doing the procedure, do I need to reboot before the reg hack takes effect? I guess I'll find out in any case, the next time I restart.

Cheers, woggie

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / April 24, 2004 10:34 PM PDT

woggie, Maybe the info below will put your mind at ease about the layout.zip download.

Control Your Desktop Icons. When you temporarily change your desktop to a lower resolution - while using Safe mode, for example - Windows can wreak havoc with your careful positioning of desktop icons. A free download, available at www.pcnineoneone.com/tweaks/layout.zip, lets you save and later restore your icon layout.

Download Layout.zip and unzip it to extract two files. Move Layout.dll to the Windows\System32 folder. Double-click on Layout.reg to add it to the Registry.

If you now right-click on almost any of the standard desktop icons you'll see two new items: Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout. Choose the former whenever you change the layout; choose the latter when you need to restore it.

http://www.chsoft.com/pcmag/maintenance.html

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by woggie / April 27, 2004 10:19 AM PDT

For some reason, it didn't work for me. Sad

I'm trying out WinTidy as suggested by R Proffitt. I was hoping to stay away from 3rd party utilities, but I guess life is hard, eh?

Cheers, woggie

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Desktop icons keep getting rearranged
by Tufenuf / April 27, 2004 11:36 AM PDT

woggie, Sorry to hear that it didn't work. Do you get the right click option when you right click your Recycle Bin? Maybe try right clicking your desktop/arrange icons by and uncheck everything except "show desktop icons". This layout.zip has worked for many others with no problems.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Desktop icons keep getting rearranged
by woggie / April 27, 2004 3:07 PM PDT

It worked! I hadn't tried the Recycle Bin icon. Tried a bunch of others but none showed the options. Thanx very much Tufenuf!

Cheers, woggie

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Desktop icons keep getting rearranged
by Tufenuf / April 27, 2004 10:30 PM PDT

woggie, Glad to see that it worked and if it hadn't you would be the first person that I know of where the layout.zip program would not have worked. Glad to help and Thanks for posting back to let us know.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by glb613 / April 23, 2004 8:33 PM PDT

Have you checked for spyware?

Collapse -
by woggie / April 24, 2004 5:20 PM PDT

Good thought, but I run Ad-aware, SpyHunter, and TrojanHunter several times a week and have ZoneAlarmPro running all the time on my cable connection.

Collapse -
by glb613 / April 24, 2004 10:32 PM PDT

Have you run a scan, virus or spyware, since this started?

I only have "show desktop icons" checked and mine stay where I want them. The other settings can change their position or location on the desktop.

Collapse -
by woggie / April 26, 2004 5:04 PM PDT

I'm running virus, adware/spyware, and trojan scans almost daily on all my networked computers as I seem to be a magnet for that crap.

I have noticed this as a problem in all versions of Windows since Win95. In other words, "since this started" means about ten years ago. Happy

Cheers, woggie

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Desktop icons keep getting rearranged
by glb613 / April 27, 2004 7:44 PM PDT

"I have noticed this as a problem in all versions of Windows since Win95. In other words, "since this started" means about ten years ago"

I've had a computer since Win95 and I've never had this problem. I only have show desktops icons checked and my desktop icons stay where I place them. Have you tried that setting?

Collapse -
Why desktop icons keep getting rearranged
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2004 11:06 PM PDT

It's really quite simple as to the "why?" part of your question. Microsoft in now over 10 years of Windows never implemented a method to truly lock icons in position on the desktop.

As such, you see a small proliferation of programs to add such a feature. One such version I know of is WinTidy. It's been around for years.

If you feel that such a feature is needed, be sure to tell Microsoft about it as often as you can.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Why desktop icons keep getting rearranged
by woggie / April 26, 2004 5:07 PM PDT

Thanx for your reply, Bob.

Indeed, I have been noticing this annoyance in every version of Windows since Win95. I'll check out WinTidy if tufenuf's registry hack doesn't do it for me.

BTW, have you experienced Microsoft paying attention when you bug them about something? Happy

Collapse -
Only when..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2004 9:18 PM PDT

I go to the seminars (in my case Embedded Windows) and I'm still looking at the other solution. Linux and MySQL for example.

When they tell me all the wonderful reasons, I have a simple answer... "It's the money." There's an over 10X cost difference per embedded SQL server from them to the other solutions.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.