Question

Desktop icons disappearing

Hi,
There are many SLES 11 system at my work place, one strange thing happen with two of the servers the files on the desktop had disappeared only there were present in the system though, can anybody tell what was the possible cause of it
Linux expert should be able to help
Thank you!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Desktop icons disappearing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Desktop icons disappearing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
It's a work place.

Be sure to not become the work place guru beyond your "space." I've seen folk try to take on the IT position with a problem as you presented and get burned.
Bob

- Collapse -
hi

I work in the I.T. dept only

- Collapse -
"servers"
"servers" explains this very well. Now that we know you're in IT, please use the command line tools to admin, edit and more.

Why run a GUI on a server?
Bob
- Collapse -
Re::
<<"servers" explains this very well >> ?? what you mean by that ??
- Collapse -
Re

we normally use ssh u r correct but
because this SLES is in the branch were people with no computer knowledge use it for running the backup programs so the desktop icons are necessary

- Collapse -
Sorry but I must disagree.

For years we had folks with some computer knowledge use a menu system like.

1. Backup.
2. Exit

No full screen gui. This may be too tough for no computer knowledge users but those with no knowledge would never be allowed to go near a company server.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
My take is...

the X Server is turned off to save resource.

Why use the GUI when the system sits idle? You can manage the system remotely. If you use Webmin there is no need for VLC or any like that.

All you need to do...

Login and type startx + Enter and the GUI should come up.

As stated before, do not mess with it if you are not allowed to be there.

- Collapse -
hello

it is the GUI interface and in that the above thing happen,
we connected to this server remotely using ssh but on the desktop it was just blank and i can mess with it dont worry its my space

- Collapse -
hmm looks like mess in desktop configuration

hmm looks like mess in desktop configuration.
You may want to try:
rm ~/.kde
rm ~/.gnome2
Commands, they will set your desktop configuration to default (first one KDE 3/4 config second one Gnome).
You will lose all your settings you made on purpose or not!

- Collapse -
oj...

rm -r ~/.kde
(rm -r means remove entire folder).

CNET Forums