Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Desktop Icons

by djbush3 / February 27, 2007 4:16 AM PST

Last night, I backed up files to external harddrive and when completed, shut down desktop. Upon startup this morning, I noticed my desktop icons disappeared but wallpaper remains. No start button, no taskbar, no icons, etc. I did try to right click on desktop, but do not get window to arrange icons by or click to show desktop icons. Is there another way to do this? Currently I am opening programs/files through task manager and browsing. I do have a reinstallation CD for XP. Should I reinstall? Will I lose programs/files not backed up? Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop Icons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop Icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What happens if
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: Desktop Icons

you use the Task Manager to run explorer.exe, (C:\Windows). Does the Desktop appear then?

If not, see if the full desktop appears in Safe Mode. If that doesn't work, try Last Known Good Configuration in the Safe Mode options.

Mark

Collapse -
What happens if
by djbush3 / February 27, 2007 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: What happens if

Thanks for the quick response Mark. Running explorer.exe from task mgr pulls up the window showing my documents and desktop but it does not reside on desktop when window minimized or closed. I should've added to my initial post that I did try to reboot in safe mode as well as my last known good configuration and neither approach reveal the icons, start menu, or task bar.

Collapse -
Windows Twear UI
by Decorte16 / February 27, 2007 4:53 AM PST

You can download Windows Tweak UI. There's an option to repair icons.
Not sure if it will work in your instance but It certainly wouldn't hurt to try. Tweak UI is great for getting your computer "just the way YOU like it".

Located on the right hand side of the page under downloads, 8 down:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Collapse -
Re: Desktop Icons
by Tufenuf / February 27, 2007 4:54 AM PST

djbush3, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 195 (right column) and click on "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar" to download a vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double
click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

It may correct your problem.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Desktop Icons
by djbush3 / February 27, 2007 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Desktop Icons

Tufenuf,

Thanks to you and everyone for your suggestions. The vbs file you suggested worked. I just ran it and my icons reappeared. I just opened my Registry Mechanic software (which had expired) and renewed my license. After updating and running software, it identified 160 problems (many were desktop shortcuts) which are now corrected.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.