Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

desktop icons

by valeve / May 25, 2005 7:07 AM PDT

I've seen this message before but the answer escapes me. My desktop icons won't open any programs unless I right click and then open.

Thanks, Val

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: desktop icons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: desktop icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: desktop icons
by Tufenuf / May 25, 2005 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: desktop icons

Val, I'm assuming that you're running Windows XP and that those desktop icons are shortcuts. Go to the link below, click on Win XP Fixes, click on File Association Fixes, the download the ''LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix'' which is a .zip file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.dougknox.com/index.html

Tufenuf

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks you so much. I've bookmarked that great link!
by valeve / May 25, 2005 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: desktop icons
Collapse -
Glad to help and here's 3 more links
by Tufenuf / May 26, 2005 1:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
not working for me
by PinkElephants / August 17, 2005 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: desktop icons

I get the same msg when I click the reg file as I do with the lnk files.. any ideas?

msg is as follows: windows cannot open this file. to open this file windows needs to know what program created it et al.

Collapse -
Re: not working for me
by Tufenuf / August 17, 2005 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: not working for me

PinkElephants, Go to the link below and download the Fixswen.inf file. Save the fixswen.inf file to your local hard disk, right-click on the file and choose install. It may correct the problem.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp

Tufenuf

Collapse -
no install choice
by PinkElephants / August 17, 2005 8:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: not working for me

Same error msg as lnk / reg files. any other ideas?

Collapse -
Can you give an example?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 17, 2005 9:08 PM PDT
In reply to: no install choice

PinkElelphants is this happening to all of your desktop icons?

Some icons may be actual documents, music, videos, photos, etc that have been saved onto the desktop, but mainly they should be ''shortcuts'' to programs, or shortcuts to documents, music, photos, etc save elsewhere.

Which ones are you having problems with, and what happens when you double click them? What error message to you get exactly?

Shortcuts are just that, a file which is a shortcut to the original elsewhere on your hard disk. But that shortcut file needs to know where on the disk the original is. If the link is broken, it may be easier to find the original and create a new shortcut to your desktop, and we can show you how to do that.

If the icon on your desktop is an actual document, music, etc, and it does not open when you double click it, you should get a different error message. What is that?

Mark

Collapse -
Re: no install choice
by Tufenuf / August 17, 2005 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: no install choice

PinkElephants, You're one of many experiencing this problem. Can you do a System Restore to the closest date prior to this problem? Have you updated your virus definitions and run a full virus scan? All of the File Association Fixes are either .reg or .inf files and since your associations have been hosed these fixes won't help. I'm assuming you're using Windows XP.

Tufenuf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.