PC Hardware forum

Desktop fails to POST. RAM issue?

by coachmark2 / July 23, 2011 11:12 AM PDT

Hey all, as you can see, this is my very first post on these forums. I'm an absolute newbie at this. I'll keep my problem description short and sweet.
I'm using an old Dell Dimension 3000 case but putting new hardware in it. This was intended to be a budget build but also to be a "sleeper" as well. Here's what I got:

Intel Pentium G620 (LGA 1155 Sandy Bridge)
2 x 2GB Crucial Desktop Memory (DDR3 @ 1333)
WD 500GB Caviar HD
Antec Earthwatts 380watt PSU
Intel-Micro ATX Motherboard 1333MHz (Socket 1155)-BOXDH61WWB3

Here's what happens: With all of this connected, attaching the PSU to the wall and flicking on the switch causes a green LED to light on the board labelled "Standby". When I press the power button, the fan spins for exactly 2 seconds, and then quits. No pressing of the power button, holding it down or anything else does anything. I have to turn off the PSU and wait for the light to wink out, turn ON the PSU, and then press the power button again, all to watch the fan spin for two seconds and quit.

I've removed the RAM completely, and it does the same exact thing. I've tried just one stick of RAM, I've tried moving either stick to either slot. Still nothing. I've disconnected the hard drive, I've plugged in a keyboard and monitor, nothing. I've even put my finger on the top of the CPU to see if its warming up. It's not.

The only thing is, if I actually remove the CPU and press the power button, then NOTHING happens. So it seems to me like the CPU is not DOA, but is doing SOMETHING.

I suspect it's a RAM issue (The sticks were shockingly cheap) but I'm totally new at this. Any feedback appreciated in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop fails to POST. RAM issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop fails to POST. RAM issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 11:22 AM PDT

It's one of the usual issues.

1. The power supply is from the old machine and is not rated to take the new hardware.
2. The ATX12V cable is unplugged.
3. There is a mounting stud on the backside of the motherboard where there should not be.

Also, NO drives or video cards are needed yet. Go without until you get a good power up.

Collapse -
RE: Bob
by coachmark2 / July 23, 2011 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Or

Thanks Bob, question for you though:

I've calculated the power requrements for all of my hardware, and even with a video card that I have not added yet, it would still only draw 320 watts. The 380 watt Antec is a new PSU.

The ATX12V cable? If thats the 20+4 pin connector, then it's firmly connected and supplying power to the board. Also, the 4pin CPU power cable is attached as well.

Option 3 is interesting....what do you mean by that? A mounting stud is pressing against the mobo and short circuiting something?

Collapse -
Option 3
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Bob

It's a common problem when folk put new boards in old cases. Only a little work to figure out.

Collapse -
About the PSU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Bob

That's cutting it too close.

To really see if there's enough oomph, go back and add up the Amperes on each supply and see how close it came.

Collapse -
PSU and Studs
by coachmark2 / July 23, 2011 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: About the PSU.

Alright, so I removed the mobo and found four studs that were there for Lord knows what. I got rid of them, reinstalled, and still nothing.

So you think that my 380watt Antec is insufficient? Ok then. So I need to add up the power requirements for the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM, because that's all that's plugged in right now....

CPU Max TDP: 65 watts http://ark.intel.com/products/53480/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G620-(3M-Cache-2_60-GHz)
Motherboard power:??? Where would I find this? It's this motherboard --> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Intel%26%23174%3B+-+Micro+ATX+Motherboard+1333MHz+(Socket+1155)/2623558.p?id=1218340593897&skuId=2623558

Collapse -
Cardboard time
by Bob__B / July 24, 2011 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: PSU and Studs

Put a piece of cardboard on the bench.

If it wont power on.......your down to three parts.

Check the bios clear jumper.

Collapse -
You're good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Cardboard time

That's the fine method your good and great techs use.

Collapse -
Extra studs are not a good thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: PSU and Studs

They can short stuff out on the back of the main board and you can lose CPUs, motherboards, power supplies. It's just a bad thing.

Try the cardboard setup and then you are down to 3 parts.

Collapse -
(NT) Cardboard
by coachmark2 / July 24, 2011 1:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Cardboard!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Cardboard
Collapse -
RMA the mobo
by coachmark2 / July 24, 2011 3:17 AM PDT

Ok, I'll test the cardboard method and then if I still get nothing, I'll RMA the board. I got it from Best Buy, and I got the CPU and PSU from Newegg. I don't even want a refund, just a replacement board.

Collapse -
Get your refund from BB
by Brechan / July 24, 2011 6:36 PM PDT
In reply to: RMA the mobo

then go to newegg and get the same/ better board (for probably a better price/ warranty); I would suggest (even with the new motherboard) to do the "cardboard" test, as it would identify any other potential problems.

Collapse -
I would....
by coachmark2 / July 26, 2011 3:14 AM PDT

I would like to get a refund from BB, but....I paid for it with a gift card. Sad
Thus, they would happy to recharge my gift card for me.... I just RMA'ed the board yesterday, and they're gonna send me a replacement.

If THIS one is bad too, I'll use my store credit ($92) on a nice GPU and buy a board elsewhere...

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?