Desktops forum

Question

Desktop cooling

by beren666 / March 7, 2013 1:16 AM PST

Hi, this is just a quick question. In a few months i will be assembeling my gaming pc.

Specs:

i5 3570k
gtx 660ti
8gb ram
1tb hdd
500gb hdd
600w psu

I need to know weather i should choose liquid or air cooling heatsink for my psu.

Also could you tell me if all liquid heatsinks have to have water replaced?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop cooling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop cooling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Here I use the stock cooler.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: Desktop cooling

Are you in some climate where you have a room over 38C?

Collapse -
Answer
Cool PSU, keep the fans
by Willy / March 8, 2013 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: Desktop cooling

Cool the PSU? You don't want any liquid by the PSU in case it fails(leaks). As for water, most tend to add some anti-fungi killer(anti-freeze) in order to control the growth of such. AND/OR use a specialized liquid that maybe part of the kit or some additive. While you can water cool, having back-up air fans, will do fine just to keep it all together.

I wouldn'ty cool the PSU offhand, but everything else can be. However, I tend to think, BIG PC case in order to mave room and additional areas to place fans and/or mount whatever. Plus, a decent case may lend itself to custom builds thus you start from the ground up rather than thinking GPU and CPU stuff, having a good case and PSU is a must, IMHO. Further, once you start stuffing the case, you rather not move it over to something better later, you'll probably keep the case as it came, so having a better case from the beginning is a good idea.

Of course, you could think "oil immersion" placing entire PC in oil vat. google for examples. Wink

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
sorry
by beren666 / March 8, 2013 10:59 PM PST

sorry, typo error.
cool cpu not psu
sorry again

Collapse -
I put high-performance aftermarket HS Fans on everything
by VAPCMD / March 9, 2013 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: sorry

I build and I don't use them for gaming. A few dollars to keep that CPU running cool and reliably is money well spent for me.

You can check out the HS CPU options over at http://www.frostytech.com

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Fans galore
by Willy / March 10, 2013 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry

There are plenty of 3rd party cpu replacement fans. Just be sure its rated for use with your cpu and it will fit inside the case, sometimes its a tight fit. I mention that as some fan and heatsink setups are huge or unique arrangements of sorts. Check online vendors for sources. IMHO, a few or well placed case fans help greatly and its best to do all this when you're building rather than later. Heat stress is a killer of gaming PCs.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?