Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

desktop background picture always shows as enlarged

Help! A few weeks ago I noticed on my laptop that the desktop background image was showing as enlarged. I changed it to different images but every time the background would show as one area (the top left) of the image enlarged and I can't figure out why.

I also noticed the position button on the desktop display properties menu is greyed out, it is set as 'centre' and because it is disabled I cannot change this.

If I use one of the default windows xp background options, eg. Tulips, it tiles it on screen (4 to the screen).

I have had no major software or computer changes during the last month when I noticed this problem, I run antivirus and everything seems fine and no virus alerts or incidents.

I tried changing the screen resolution but made no difference, the desktop background still appears enlarged. It makes no difference whether I select images from the display properties & browse or from right click & set as desktop background from an image directly. I can't figure this out!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: desktop background picture always shows as enlarged
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: desktop background picture always shows as enlarged
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
desktop background picture always shows as enlarged

In reply to: desktop background picture always shows as enlarged

Check the application your pictures are in. You might have accessibiligy options changed there.

Collapse -
I'm intrigued.

In reply to: desktop background picture always shows as enlarged

Can you supply a screen print of your Desktop which shows the whole desktop image, including this 'top-left' area?

Also, include in that screen print your Display Properties window with the tab open which allows you to change the wallpaper.

We usually upload such images to an image hosting site like ImageShack, Photobucket, or Flickr, or whichever is your favorite, then post the link to that 'full sized' image here.

Mark

Collapse -
desktop screenshot

In reply to: I'm intrigued.

Thanks for offering to look at this, I'm really puzzled. here is the link to the screenshot of my desktop including the display properties:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48013614@N02/4788448183/

Regardless if I use 'browse' to find the image or right click on an image from MS explorer and 'set as desktop' then it still shows as magnified. This is for all images, even those which were displaying fine just a few weeks ago.

Thanks

Collapse -
I see what you mean.

In reply to: desktop screenshot

A very nice image of the baby's head, but not quite what you want I imagine, Happy

Have a look at the solution offered in this discussion;
http://www.allpostnews.co.uk/ii28/Cant%20change%20wallpaper%20options%20greyed%20out.php

It involves amending the registry but I have to post a warning that making changes to the registry can be dangerous to the Operating System, so please make sure you know how to recover from any damage should it occur. The Microsoft Guided Help article below shows how to backup and restore the registry;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756

Before you consider all this, have you tried a simple "System Restore", to a date before this change happened? System Restore is available in Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.