Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Desk Icon, Program Files, CD-Rom will not work

I downloaded a game Sim City 4 and I think my resolution was set up too high so it went OOR on my screen.

However, my computer got worse after that happened. I could only get online with safe mode, which is what i am doing right now. None of my desk icon would work when I click on them. Pulling up all the program files by hitting the menu button it will not work. I tried to run some viruses scan and spyware softwares and it got some viruses and spywares but I "think" i got rid of them but there is something weird that I never seen happening before.

I have AVG 7.0 Free Edition and when I ran it this time everything looked ok BUT it said " user32.dll" , "shell32.dll", "ntoskrnl.exe" changed instead of showing ok. I dont know why none of my normal desk icons or program files will not work and I tried to run a CD and my CD-Rom but it will not work either. At this moment I dont know what to know. I have Window XP Service Pack 2. Geforce 3 video card. Would anyone happen to know how to solve this problem? This whole problem happened after the OOR happend and whole bunch of pop-ups came up and I got viruses. I deleted SM4 from my computer. If anyone would know how to fix it please reply here. Thanks so much.

Oh btw I also tried to retore the computer but it couldnt be done so..

Sincerely yours

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desk Icon, Program Files, CD-Rom will not work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desk Icon, Program Files, CD-Rom will not work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since Sim City 4 is not downloadable...

In reply to: Desk Icon, Program Files, CD-Rom will not work

You probably got hit by some cracked software with tojans or worse.

Wipe the drive out and reload the OS. Start over and take the lesson that it's very dangerous to download copyrighted works.

Bob

Collapse -
Oh no

In reply to: Since Sim City 4 is not downloadable...

No no, I bought the game and installed it.

Collapse -
Please write such in your postings.

In reply to: Oh no

One method is not the other.

As it stands, try SYSTEM RESTORE.

Bob

Collapse -
yeah I did

In reply to: Please write such in your postings.

I did, wouldnt work.

Collapse -
Didn't see that entry.

In reply to: yeah I did

"Oh btw I also tried to retore the computer but it couldnt be done so.."

I missed if and .. sorry about that. The typo didn't help.

-> Since it was not a downloaded program I wonder if this is the usual spyware damage. Try this...

Look up IEFIX which automates common system repairs. I use it since it reregisters needed components and runs SFC for us. Have the XP CD handy. Here's the link: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Bob

Collapse -
mmm

In reply to: Didn't see that entry.

Still wont work.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.