General discussion

Deselecting Excel Sum fields

When I accessed my Excel 2003 program this morning the data worksheet was locked into the "select sum fields" command. Whenever I moved the cursor in the worksheet it would highlight some of the fields and locks up the computer. I've tried almost everything I know to get out of this command but to no avail. When I open other excel worksheets the "select sum fields" command is there so I'm unable to perform any work using Excel.
How do I deselect the "select sum fields" sommand so I can unlock my computer to work on the Excel worksheets?
Thank you for your help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Deselecting Excel Sum fields
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Deselecting Excel Sum fields
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'm not sure about this

Hi Sakhar.

I'm not sure I can help on this, and if not and no-one else in this forum can, try CNET's Microsoft Office forum here;
http://reviews.cnet.com/5204-6129-0.html?forumID=29&start=0

However, to start with......... I haven't heard of this "Select Sum Field" command or option, so when I accessed Excel's Help, I was offered Pivot Table options. Is this something you have been using recently?

Even if it is, I am unsure how you would "unselect" Pivot Table to return the cursor control to you. This sounds like Excel has become corrupt. You could try the "Detect and Repair" option in the Help menu command, but have your Microsoft Office CD ready as it may ask for it.

if that doesn't help, you could try removing Excel from the Control Panel > Add/Remove programs option, but again you would need the Office CD. You could remove Excel, then take the disk out, reboot the computer, then once Windows has loaded again, insert the CD again and re-install Excel.

Your Excel spreadsheets would not be removed or deleted, as long as they are saved away from the Microsoft Office Program Files folder.

That's all I can suggest at this stage.

Mark

- Collapse -
Been There, Done That

The same thing happened to me when I went to Help menu - pivot table options. (I don't use pivot tables.) No, I had just open the Excel worksheet (but I may have accidently hit some key that I wasn't aware of) and when I pointed my cursor to a cell and hit enter the program decided to do that "select sum field" operation. The words "Select sum fields" appeared in the upper right-hand corner of the monitor and as I moved the cursor, which incidentally turned into a big white cross, the scanned fields would be selected. (The selected fields turns from white to blue.) Also a notation identifies the selected fields, i.e., yR X zC. It seems like after the fields are selected, the program is waiting for me to perform an operation. Since the arrow cursor turned into a white cross, the toolbar menus (or anything for that matter) could not be accessed.
I did the "Detect and Repair" that required me to reinstall the Excel program but that didn't solve the problem.
Further messing around, I found that this problem was associated only with that one worksheet since I could accessed other Excel worksheets with any problems. (So it's not a Excel program problem.) I guess I could do a work-around by recreating the worksheet entries on a clean Excel worksheet but I'm surious as to why I couldn't get out of that "Select sum fields" command.
I perused through the 500+ help questions in the Excel forum but none addressed this problem. Also I had a friend look in her Excel instructions manual to see if the "Select sum fields" was addressed. It's not.
Thanks for your help on this problem, Mark.

- Collapse -
That's very weird

It's got me stumped Sakhar.

I'm glad it's only the one spreadsheet otherwise you may have been in trouble.

I hope you get the (apparently?) corrupted spreadsheet sorted.

I would still post this question in the Microsoft Office forum on this site here;
http://reviews.cnet.com/5204-6129-0.html?forumID=29
just to see if anyone else has heard of it. There are more knowledgeable people there. You can if you wish post a link to this thread, so viewers can see what has already been said.

But that's up to you.

Good luck.

Mark

- Collapse -
Now This is Strange

I spent the tedious task of recreating the problem worksheet data into a new worksheet, then I trashed the problem worksheet. Today I decided to further look into the problem so I restored the problem worksheet from the recycle bin. To my surprise the problem disappeared. I didn't do anything to the worksheet other than just trashing it. Strange.
Anyway I'm still curious on why that happened so I'll take your advice and pursue this probem via the Microsoft Office forum.
Thanks for your help, Mark.

CNET Forums