The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Depends how you define broadband

I've been on vacation so I apologize if this already got discussed in a later episode, but on #759 there was talk about lots of people staying on dial up because they didn't care to have broadband. I don't think everyone was aware that they were including satellite. I've seen more than one discussion where people have acted like satellite was only slightly better than dial-up. I don't completely agree, as it is a heck of a lot faster than dial-up and if it's all you can get then you're very glad to have it. However, the startup cost for satellite is quite significant and it does have many issues, from lag to problems in bad weather to pretty low data caps unless you pay even more. Really doesn't apply very well to the later discussion about using your broadband to get video etc.

Just saying that I suspect most everyone was picturing a fast unlimited cable connection that they had turned on for just a couple of bucks. However not all broadband was created equal. The points about people who haven't had faster connections not knowing what they were missing were all bang on I think. And the report seems clear that many of the people who don't care are older--so maybe set in their ways and all the more unaware of what they're missing. However, I will never be able to use mine for any significant video etc.--not with a cap of 7.5GB! I can get twice that if I pay twice as much, but go back and look at the recent discussions where many of you said that you weren't sure if you could live with a cap of like 200GB--how much value would you see in an upgrade to a whole 15GB a month?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Depends how you define broadband
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Depends how you define broadband
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.