TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Denon introducing HDMI 1.3 receivers in 30 days.

by NM_Bill / June 16, 2007 12:36 AM PDT

Regulars may recall I have been very happy since stumbling into Denon 4 years ago & now have 2 receivers & 2 DVD/universal players of theirs.

I have been interested in products like Onkyo jumping into the 1.3 market with their new models TX-SR575, 605 & 805. The 605 is in the meat of the market & should make many happy. The 805 requires a grand but should be a powerhouse.

Curiosity led me to simply e-mail Denon & got that above prompt reply. No further details at this time. But Denon does garner respect for solid reasons. Not as value oriented as, say, Onkyo, but they're been absolutely bulletproof or me. Solid products & c/net reviews agree.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Denon introducing HDMI 1.3 receivers in 30 days.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Denon introducing HDMI 1.3 receivers in 30 days.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by bevillan / June 16, 2007 1:46 AM PDT

Denon and Onkyo are quality and after having great success with the TX-SR803 I will continue to buy Onkyo. I was thinking about getting the 605 but it lacks the power that the 805 would have. And going from a 803 to a 605 might leave me wanting my wattage back.

Lately new techs and models with great features seem to be coming out more frequently and it is hard to stay on top of the electronics game to have the newest and best. I have to keep telling myself to not pull out the credit card, it is hard though.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / June 16, 2007 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: sweet

Ok dear friend do you think 1.3. will actually give better picture quality? it may look good on paper but I doubt it By far the best set up I have ever seen was a new Pioneer Elite 50" plasma hooked up to a new blue ray player with standar h.d.m.i. And there is no way in heck that you are going to get better picture quality than that .if tha plasma looked better with 1.3. it would probably burn your eye balls ha ha Like I always say wha is better than perfect steweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Collapse -
No 1.3 for me, Stewee, at least for very long time. My TV
by NM_Bill / June 16, 2007 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: MR BILL WHATS UP?

isn't HD & I got that overkill Denon 4806 receiver last July when it became superceded. Nearly half price. More power & connectivity possibilities than any one person would ever need. At our age, the last new receiver I'll need to buy.

If & when they ever get all the HDMI thoroughly integrated I will be anxious to see how much excitement it may bring about. The possibilities are fascinating.

Besides, there are plenty of us to provide a customer base to provide updated HDMI at some point in time, by wireless rather than replacing equipment. We'll see what we see.

Well we know that the resolution possibilities could go beyond what we can see with our eyeballs. It reminds my of old days when Kodak film was still king. They got criticized for the color film being so saturated that it automatically made the blue skies bluer than they actually were. Bluer than blue rather than just accurate color.

Meanwhile my 43" screen may be a postage stamp compared to your picture. But I post about my living room being a living room rather than a home theater. And my Paradigm set sounds as good to me as your Atlantic Technology does to you. That makes 2 satisfied mature gentlemen. Notice I didn't say old coots. I'm not a geezer, just in on the job training to eventually be one.

Collapse -

You may not be old but you sure have done many great things. Yes when I think back when I had my old McIntoch m.c. 60 house size speakers and turntable I still remember the anolog sound quality and some how wonder which sounded better my new digital set up or that oldie but goodie system Thats why I never knock old stuff ain"t true I still like knobs better than buttons but thats another story time to loose at poker have a nice week end Mr. bill steweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Collapse -
by Riverledge / June 16, 2007 2:12 PM PDT

MANY folks would rather buy their first sub-Woofer, maybe rear speakers for their 3.1 system. Or may BE on the brink of purchasing their very 1st HDTV........ don't tell folks to spurge on tech they may never need.

Thank you,

Collapse -
OK, I get your point as to priorities for moving forward
by NM_Bill / June 16, 2007 3:22 PM PDT
In reply to: YEAH, SO WHAT???

with the appropriate next step, be it a first sub, etc.

I do however, welcome more availability to the market of the potential & promise that HDMI 1.3 may bring. Not to splurge, but to consider being up to date with yet one more connectivity issue.

Unlike some who may be practical by selling a component they upgraded, I continue to hold on to some old pieces like my old NAD integrated amp. No A/V certainly, but I don't think my last year acquired Denon 4806 can make the music sound any better. And the accident of fate reacquisition of my ca. 1964 Tannoy dual concentrics in homemade enclosures just makes me feel good. The cones show some deterioration, but while I wait until I get those tended to, I remember their big sound.

My 4806 was a splurge indeed. But just my splurge, my decision, my never to be exploited connectivity possibilities of the unit. But in the meantime, I run it at a small fraction of its power. Perhaps I'll go loco someday & see if I can broadcast to the greater neighborhood. Guess I'd need concert type speakers for that. Because they were not up to date enough to be appreciated by the grandkids, I also have some old Carver and Rotel. Not a darn thing wrong with them.

I may like to incorporate 1.3 or 1.4 or 1.5 sometime in the future with, perhaps wireless connectivity.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / June 16, 2007 4:52 PM PDT

THINK OF NEWBIES; THEY DON'T even know what HMDI is to start with!!!
Sorry, just in a cranky mood.

Best to all,

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?