Question

DENON-AVR kills SONY HDTV sound.

If I connect my HDMI components (DVD; Cable; CD),
directly to my HDTV [SONY KDL46V5100], I can route
the audio from the HDTV's audio-out (RCA-pair) to my
receiver's [DENON KDL46V5100] analog-in (DVD-in
works fine), I can get decent sound from the
speakers or headphones, AND from the TV's own speaker bar simultaneously, although the sound is not digital. [NOTE: Under certain circumstances it's more important that I have two independently-controllable sound sources]

As said, It all works fine, although it's not digital audio.
If I configure the system for optimum digital AV,
all components are now connected to Denon's multi-HDMI inputs, and its one HDMI-out cable connects to the HDTV. Digital sound out the speakers is great. EXCEPT that now the HDTV speaker bar is DEAD (interestingly, its mute and volume indicator both indicate, but no sound, and therefore no dual-controlled output as before.

I have scoured both units' Users' Manuals, and cannot
find any reference to this problem in either. Anyone
have ideas why this happens, or how to fix? Thanks.
KL

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: DENON-AVR kills SONY HDTV sound.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DENON-AVR kills SONY HDTV sound.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
The last time I set such up

Same thing. The reason is pretty simple so I'll write it and stop.

Once you go digital there is a chance the audio sync could be off in time on the analog channel so you disable any audio outputs.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Let me dig around a little

I will get back to you on this one once I dig in the proper places Wink

- Collapse -
Answer
On this Sony it may be something you can't change

Other HDTVs have issues with audio output (or lack thereof). This one seems to not permit the pass through audio, back to the built-in speakers.

While I didn't get anything concrete in my digging (yet), you will likely get a better answer in the Sony LCD forum such as @ AVS. Ask here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1129222/official-sony-kdl-xxv5100-thread

- Collapse -
Too tough for SONY?

First, thanks for the link to the SONY forum. My post has been there almost a week and no reply as yet. Maybe a mod will notice it one of these days...

CNET Forums