TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Denon AVR-687 VS Pioneer vsx-d811x

Can anyone help me choose between these two recievers. I can get them for the same price. By setup will be 7.1 in a large basement.

Some key differences between the 2 are:

The Pioneer has 25 Watts more per channel (100 vs 75).

But the Denon has Prologic IIx while the Pioneer does not.

The Pioneer has a total harmonic distortion of 1% in each channel while the Denon has 0.8%

The Pioneer has a signal to noise ratio of 96db while the Denon has 98db.

Thanks for your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Denon AVR-687 VS Pioneer vsx-d811x
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Denon AVR-687 VS Pioneer vsx-d811x
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you'll have to dig deeper...

In reply to: Denon AVR-687 VS Pioneer vsx-d811x

than those specs. you'll need test and/or reviews. otherwise, which feature set do you prefer? that could tip the scales.

does the pioneer at least have PLii let alone x version? the x only matters for anything more than 5.1 (like 6.1 or 7.1)

Collapse -
6.1 vs 7.1

In reply to: you'll have to dig deeper...

I do have a 7.1 speaker setup so a reciever that can handel that is important. The Pioneer is a 6.1 that splits the surround back to make 7.1. The Denon is a true 7.1 reciever.

The Pioneer does have PL II just not the x version, while the Denon does.

So based on those features I would prefer the Denon. However the Denon has 25 Watts less per channel, I am not sure how much of a difference that makes. It would be set up in a rather large basement.

Also the Denon has a terrible remote while I have used the Pioneer's and think it is great.

As far as testing goes I am testing the Pioneer right now and think it sounds great. I am unable to test the Denon before I buy but, it is a newer reciver (I believe) so i don't want to miss out since it is the same price.

Let me know if any of that helps or if more research is needed
Thanks

Collapse -
don't know what to say

In reply to: 6.1 vs 7.1

what's the pricing you are getting? I don't think* any of them have pre-outs to be able to add amp. I only mention this since you say big room. Your need for power will depend on 1) volumes desired 2) speakers chosen 3) distance from speakers.

Things you are not getting.

- HDMI audio for lossless
- pre-outs

You are looking at entry level. The Denon might be newer than the Pio, dunno, but there's a newer version out already. However, the HDMI is video pass thru only, which is rather BS imo.

So. If you are ok with no HDMI or no pre-outs, Id go cheap as possible. You can get a refurbed Onkyo 505 for about $150. You can probably find better deals as used.

Once you get around $360 ish, you can get a Yammy 663 that accepts HDMi audio + has preouts. It can matrix m-ch pcm, but canNOT matrix hi-def bitstream. The amp is still entry level, and the Onkyos will be better.

The remote is the most easily upgradeable. I have 6 stock remotes, and only one is backlit. I instead use a cheapo harmony 520 that was being had last year for $80.

Since having a really discrete 7.1 experience seems to of great importance to you, I will say that your speaker placement is paramount. I would say significantly more important that if its 6.1 dual-mono-rears vs 7.1. Also, listener positioning.

I don't know how many cans of worms I just opened...

Collapse -
$75 Each which is why I want one of these

In reply to: don't know what to say

Thanks for all your help
I am getting great pricing because I know both people selling the receivers. Either one would be $75 and are in great shape.
This is going to be my second surround setup (in my basement) so I want to save some money.
In my living room I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 which I love set up with 5.1 Boston Acoustics speakers.
In the basement I have 3 Infinity speakers (2 satt and a center) and 4 Polk speakers. All the speakers are small but I do have a 12" subwoofer. I know I am missing out on HDMI but the Tv down there does not have HDMI and all my HDMI equipment is setup in the living room.
As you said the remote is not a big deal, my big question is will that 25 Watt difference per channel be noticable and if you were limited to just these two with my speaker setup which would you take?
Thanks again

Collapse -
that's a tough bind.

In reply to: $75 Each which is why I want one of these

Im sorry to say I decline from googling and searching for possible reviews and test results. You can try looking, or ask elsewhere.

Well, if it ain't broke don't fix it? OTOH, I would really want that X version, and I think that you would too....

Dunno. I have high regard for Denon even though Im using none of their products at this point. 25w difference is not much. And specs given by companies are... well...

*shrugs* if you're happy with the pio, save yourself the headache of swappin everything out?

Collapse -
I would go with the Denon because

In reply to: Denon AVR-687 VS Pioneer vsx-d811x

They keep there value , Just sold my older Denon 2910 d.v.d. player on e-bay and got a good chunk of change for it turned around and bought a new Sony blue Ray player and believe it or not that old Denon had better picture quality than my new blue ray player has. My 3805 Denon amp is about 3 years old I also have a atlantic Technology 4200 7.1. speaker system in a large room and I can almost blow out the windowesI have never even turned it up all the wayBut to tell you the truth your speaker system is the most importent part of your theater system more imporetant than your amp good luck steweee

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.