TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Denon AVR-1908 Malfunction

HI, I'm new to the audio video world. I bought a Denon AVR-1908 a little while ago and love the thing. Way better than my dad's Sherwood that I was used to growing up. It started malfunctioning a few weeks ago. It works fine for a few minutes then starts feeding back this horrible static through the speakers like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh3Om1i9gzo Does anyone know what the problem is? I know that it is not an uncommon problem, but can't find anything on how to fix it. I bought it used so I don't have the warranty. I'm good with soldering iron and have access to my school electronics lab to fix it. I just need to know where to start. Anyone know what is causing the problem or how it started? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Denon AVR-1908 Malfunction
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Denon AVR-1908 Malfunction
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Well.....

In reply to: Denon AVR-1908 Malfunction

How's that old Sherwood doing these days ? Devil

Digger

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You'll need a service manual.

In reply to: Denon AVR-1908 Malfunction

Collapse -
I have one

In reply to: You'll need a service manual.

I have the service manual, but that docent tell anything about the circuitry of the receiver. the problem is internal, not a settings problem.

Collapse -
Then it's not a service manual at all!

In reply to: I have one

While I think I know what a docent is, it is possible that the maker doesn't support circuit repair. That is, in the service shops they instruct to change boards and the boards are sent back to the maker for possible board repair.

This system really irks those that have an electronics engineering background.
Bob

Collapse -
Oh, what is it?

In reply to: Then it's not a service manual at all!

I've seen those sort of manuals and they are what I call "Depot Service Manuals."

Such is intended for service centers across the world so that the machines can be fixed by everyday techs. Then the parts are shipped back to some higher tier tech center for possible refurb.
Bob

Collapse -
DIY repair forums?

In reply to: Then it's not a service manual at all!

Collapse -
Bob is correct

In reply to: I have one

They don't design new receivers and document the electronics under the hood in such a way for the end user to be able to troubleshoot easily. I suggest taking to a repair shop and seeing what their initial estimate is. The good thing is, you won't have to guess if they can start you off by indicating which board you need to replace. With that info, often a quick trip to ebay, etc. is all you would have to do. Still cheaper than troubleshooting an entire rig from scratch that you are not familiar with.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.